What to upgrade cpu or gpu.

I have a Geforce 660 TI and a very cheap duel core G620 2.6GHZ. Also 4 gigs of ram. I'm planing to upgrade to a i5 6400,8 gigs of ram and motherboard to H170A-X1. But i'm thinking should i spend the 300 dollars on a new graphics card and 8 gigs of ram. I'm looking at diffrent bench mark's from the GeForce 660 and my computer isn't close at all and the CPU is bottle necking so i don't see the point of upgrading to a 750 TI or something of that sort if the GPU is even bottle necking a 660 TI. So just wondering what you guy's think. And do not care about runing game's on ultra high 4K or anything.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing to do would be to upgrade to a better cpu. You'll need a new cpu, motherboard and ram since ddr3 won't work on the new motherboard. The 660ti is better then the 750ti anyway.

Well i know i would need new ram i wasn't planing on keeping the ram i have not realy a good idea. I know the i5 will bottle neck it but i'm not sure how bad.

Brandon71732

The last thing you want is bottlenecking... think of it this way.. the dual core and a new graphics card... it's like trying to fit a beautiful tesla engine into a 1999 dodge... or visa versa and it just won't mix. You will have lagging and severe framerate drop. So do not spend the money on a new card.. just cpu and motherboard. if after that you have money to get a new GPU then go ahead. But i recommend you heed my advice, i make this mistake once way back and i learned from it. So i am passing that knowledge on to you!

beers

Staff member
As per others 750 Ti would be a backwards move.

I'd upgrade the platform first, which should also give you some more graphical performance.

Okay thank you for the advice. I just didn't know if upgrading the cpu or gpu would make it bottle neck worse. But the cpu is so old. I'm about postive the gpu would make it bottle neck more.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Do you have a budget to work with?

We can steer you to a good direction on what sort of parts you can get with how much money you're willing to spend.

I have a 300 dollar budget but i'm preety sure i'm going to upgrade to a i5 6400 and 8GB of ram. I could get a fx 6300 and a diffrent motherboard and get a SSD but the cpu will be very outdated within a year or so.

Do you have a budget to work with?

We can steer you to a good direction on what sort of parts you can get with how much money you're willing to spend.
What do you think for the 300 dollar budget? I'm still trying to decide i think i'm going to order parts at end of this month.

Intel_man

VIP Member
$300 is a pretty tight budget to upgrade to an i5 setup. You can definitely get a i5 6400 in that price range and even fit a Z170 mobo in there + 8gb of ram.

For ~$400, you can get the top of the line i5 setup which can be overclocked to increase performance.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3ZfmD8

$300 is a pretty tight budget to upgrade to an i5 setup. You can definitely get a i5 6400 in that price range and even fit a Z170 mobo in there + 8gb of ram.

For ~$400, you can get the top of the line i5 setup which can be overclocked to increase performance.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3ZfmD8
Yea i'm browsing and it's preety hard to fit it in the budget but what do you think of

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit - 37 Dollars
Intel Core I5-6400 - 182 Dollars
ASRock H170 Pro4S LGA 1151 - 85 Dollars

Total = 304 dollars

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157640&ignorebbr=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DERhttps://

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010T6CG7E/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That board only supports 2133mhz ram. I wouldn't take a chance on the 2400mhz. If you want to use faster ram then you'll have to go with a Z170 board.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Honestly for like $10 more, you can grab the Asrock Z170 Pro4S.

I'd also just grab a single stick of 8GB DDR4-2666 for now. You don't take a noticeable hit in performance by only going single channel vs dual channel, and if you only use one slot of 8gb ram, then you can theoretically get up to 32GB for the future.

Honestly for like $10 more, you can grab the Asrock Z170 Pro4S.

I'd also just grab a single stick of 8GB DDR4-2666 for now. You don't take a noticeable hit in performance by only going single channel vs dual channel, and if you only use one slot of 8gb ram, then you can theoretically get up to 32GB for the future.
Well i'm just playing game's and casual video editing for 5 min video's, So i will never need 32 GB's but if i can find a cheaper single stick then i'll go with it. It'll make sense to get cheaper ram and getting Pro4S thank's.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Faster ram = always better. Those g.skill ripjaws in my pcpartpicker link should be what you you buy. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any single 8gb sticks of DDR4-3000 that didn't cost a left kidney for some reason.

Faster ram = always better. Those g.skill ripjaws in my pcpartpicker link should be what you you buy. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any single 8gb sticks of DDR4-3000 that didn't cost a left kidney for some reason.
I have a left kidney to spare tho :D. But my budget is 300 i can't go over it :/ so not much i can do i think i'm just going to get a open box motherboard on new egg and get a i5 and reguler 8 gig stick stick's.