What to Upgrade?

ninjabubbles3

Current link is in Sig, but I'm wondering what I can upgrade to give me most performance, no budget, just what I should go for without bottlenecking. I'm thinking RAM, then PSU, cuz my RAM usage is 33 percent idle.

neg

I would include RAM on your list. Lots of PC games now require large amounts of RAM to function at high speeds.

jamesd1981

I would say in order of importance

1. power supply
2. add an ssd
3. only if you game or do video work, gpu
4. add another stick of ram so you can run in dual channel

ninjabubbles3

I do have a 64 bit OS, but whenever I install games, it automatically installs the 32 bit version, does that give me less performance?

beers

Staff member
Depends on what you're trying to do and what kind of games you play.

I'd probably go in this order:

PSU (unbranded ones really are turds)
GPU
RAM
CPU
SSD

If you hit 90%+ utilization trying to do your daily tasks I'd promote RAM to the top of the list. Alternatively if you only had one piece to upgrade I'd go with GPU. The 620 is pretty old and super slow.

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

The power supply and graphics card are old from my dads workstation that I upgraded. The GPU hits 60fps on LoL, so I'm happy. Probs doing PSU, them RAM, then GPU, then SSD, then case. I'm sure the mobo and CPU will leave me overclocking headroom till broadwell comes out

Geoff

VIP Member
The power supply and graphics card are old from my dads workstation that I upgraded. The GPU hits 60fps on LoL, so I'm happy. Probs doing PSU, them RAM, then GPU, then SSD, then case. I'm sure the mobo and CPU will leave me overclocking headroom till broadwell comes out
The GPU hits 60FPS, or the minimum is 60FPS? Is that on high settings? If you game, I would upgrade to 8GB+ of RAM, get a new PSU, and then upgrade the video card.

ninjabubbles3

The GPU hits 60FPS, or the minimum is 60FPS? Is that on high settings? If you game, I would upgrade to 8GB+ of RAM, get a new PSU, and then upgrade the video card.

Im getting 60 FPS, maxed out setting except for shadows off, and anti-aliasing drops it to 35 and makes it look weird, like characters are blurry. And thats exactly what I plan to do:p