What type of RAM do I need?

Dark master

Hi, I want to put some more RAM in my PC, but I'm not sure what type of RAM I can use, and what would be best.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, and there are 4 RAM slots. 2 of them are filled with 512 MB DDR2 PC2-3200 RAM modules made by Samsung. In the BIOS it says 1GB RAM 400 Mhz.

I want 1GB extra RAM, I guess two 512 MB modules would be best. But my question is, can I use DDR2 RAM with 533Mhz or 667Mhz or even more?

And what's the difference?

PC eye

banned
The first thing to know on any system prebuilt or custom is the board specifications to see what will be supported. Dell like other makes sells their models with so much as part of the package unless you order extra. The fastest memory supported on that model is DDR2 533 according to the specifications seen at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/en/om/U70350LRs.pdf

To upgrade to the faster memory you would be better off going with two 1gb 533mhz dimms rather then mixing speeds for sure. What OS are you running? XP only supports upto 4gb.

Dark master

I'm running Vista, that is the main reason why I want more RAM.

But two 1gb modules are twice as expensive, is it really that bad to have two 400 Mhz modules and two 533 Mhz modules side by side?

PC eye

banned
The faster memory would first have to be installed on the primary channel usually the "A" slots sccording to most manuals and be reduced to the 400mhz speed. Your best move to increase memory can be done by only three ways. 1)add two more 512mb 400mhz dimms of the same type. 2)replace the current with two 1gb 400mhz dimms. 3)replace with two 1gb 533mhz dimms. The #4 option is buying four 512mb 533mhz dimms. not so good.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
2 1GB sticks would be better, but mixing RAM speed is fine and just try to match the different sets with each other. (ie put the 533 in slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 4)

Dark master

Ok thanks, I'm gonna buy two 512MB DDR2-400Mhz modules then, that's the cheapest.

EDIT:
2 1GB sticks would be better, but mixing RAM speed is fine and just try to match the different sets with each other. (ie put the 533 in slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 4)
Oh, so two 533Mhz modules and two 400Mhz modules is still better then four 400Mhz modules? If so, then I'll buy two 533Mhz modules, else I'm gonna buy two 400Mhz modules.

Cause I'm not gonna buy two 1GB modules, that's to expensive.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not better, but it's no worse. Mixing speeds runs them at the slower speed. If DDR2-400 are cheaper then go with those, if 533 is then you might as well pick them up.

Dark master

Ok, thanks.

And are there any other things I should look at, while buying RAM besides the speed and memory?

What does PC2 4200 or PC2 3200 mean?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
PC2 just means it's DDR2 and the number after (3200, 4200, 5400, etc) is the speed in MB/second.

ETSA

2 gigs of 400 is better than 1 gig of 533 any day of the week. RAM is infinitesimally faster than HD's or any other memory storage temporary or permanent, you will notice a performance increase.

PC eye

banned
2 gigs of 400 is better than 1 gig of 533 any day of the week. RAM is infinitesimally faster than HD's or any other memory storage temporary or permanent, you will notice a performance increase.

2gb of DDR2 533 would even be better then that. Plus you can use that on newer AM2 boards as well as C2 models that no longer the 400 memory. Generally the "A" slots are for the primary channel with the "A #1" or "A #0" being the default. slots there. The "B #1" or "B #0" would be the default for the secondary. The board's manual will indicate which are the defaults on each.

PC eye

banned
There are a few good brands of memory besides crucial. That model will easily run Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin as well as Crucial. Just watch where you buy from. Last year I paid $110 for 2gb of memory that sees twice that much for PC2-4200 533mhz memory at http://www.memoryx.net/a0375066.html

Forget newegg for memory since the only 533mhz dimms were a generiic name there. For value ram mwave has a pair of 1gb dimms for a good price at http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23394

TigerDirect was out there on prices like the OCZ performance 2gb kit seen for $244.99 at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1882389&CatId=2364