WIndows 10 What would cause my computer to restart when coming out of sleep mode?

JohnJSal

Hi all. This is something I've noticed happening the last couple of times I've woken up my PC. Instead of just immediately opening back up into Windows with my homescreen, ready to proceed, it's showing the motherboard logo/startup screen as if I had just turned on my PC. Then it loads into Windows.

Any reason it might be doing this all of a sudden? Nothing has changed. Could it be something happening while it's in sleep mode, like a power surge? Even that doesn't seem likely, as the weather has been fine.

Thanks!

Edit: To wake up my computer, I simply press the Esc key or click the mouse button. I don't use the power button on the PC itself.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you aren't shutting down the pc and then possibly have the "wake on keyboard/mouse" option enabled in bios? Not sure what else it could be. If it was actually rebooting, you should be able to tell.

JohnJSal

Are you sure you aren't shutting down the pc and then possibly have the "wake on keyboard/mouse" option enabled in bios? Not sure what else it could be. If it was actually rebooting, you should be able to tell.
Yes, pretty sure. I just go to Power > Sleep and it goes to sleep. Doesn't do any kind of shutting down operations. And pressing keys has never turned on my PC before, so I don't think that would turn it back on from being off.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done any driver updates lately? Drivers are the number one cause of sleep/hibernation issues. Other than that, not sure what to tell you. Besides doing a system restore back to a day where it was working properly and try it.

beers

Staff member
Do you have any hibernation settings? My work laptop does that occasionally, it will dump RAM contents to disk and then resume from them when you try to use it again. At that point it shuts down and when you power it back up it's just replicating back into RAM.

Do you get the previous session's contents, or does it boot into a blank workspace where it's just like Windows and your desktop?

JohnJSal

Have you done any driver updates lately? Drivers are the number one cause of sleep/hibernation issues. Other than that, not sure what to tell you. Besides doing a system restore back to a day where it was working properly and try it.
No, no updates other than the regular system updates, but I don't know what gets included in all that. I usually just do the important updates though.

JohnJSal

Do you have any hibernation settings? My work laptop does that occasionally, it will dump RAM contents to disk and then resume from them when you try to use it again. At that point it shuts down and when you power it back up it's just replicating back into RAM.

Do you get the previous session's contents, or does it boot into a blank workspace where it's just like Windows and your desktop?
I don't think I have anything to do with hibernation. Whenever I put it to sleep, I usually have everything closed, so there's really no way for me to tell if it's resuming my last session. Maybe next time I'll leave a window open and see if it's there when it wakes up.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It happens to me occasionally too. I have never really looked into it. The only thing I know for sure is it is not hibernating, I get a fresh windows session.