What would it cost me to upgrade my gaming computer?

morgothaod

Here are my specs, should I just buy a new graphics card?

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 2.01 Ghz
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Maybe I would be better off with a new rig? I don't know how to build a computer, so I would have to buy one thats already made. I would like to spend no more than $1,000. The only games I would be playing are Soldiers of Fortune 2 Double Helix, Quake 3 Arena, Team Fortress, and Diablo 3.

Twist86

Diablo 3 is the only game that your system might not do well with. Everything else should run ok. Diablo 3 has no offical specs out yet but most are guessing 2.4ghz dual-core and a 8800GT or better.

So I would spend some time and learn how to build a computer. Its not very hard and you will build a better system for the same price. Plus people on the forum will gladly help you with any questions or issues that come up with the build. The only downside is you have to buy a operating system but that is only $100 for Windows 7 leaving $900 to make a very nice computer that you wont find pre-built for the price.

computeruler

A new graphics card would likely be bottle necked by your cpu. I would get a dual core, 2gb ram, and a new graphics card.

morgothaod

I would spend some time and learn how to build a computer.

Do you know of a good site with lots of pictures? I need step by step instructions with pictures. I also worry about certain parts not working with each other. If you don't know of a good site, do you know of any helpful books? I'm not in a rush to upgrade/buy a new computer because I want to wait for Diablo 3 to come out.

Twist86

Do you know of a good site with lots of pictures? I need step by step instructions with pictures. I also worry about certain parts not working with each other. If you don't know of a good site, do you know of any helpful books? I'm not in a rush to upgrade/buy a new computer because I want to wait for Diablo 3 to come out.

Well the best guide that I linked to my uncle up north was this and he is about as computer stupid as they come and with minimal questions he built a system.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638619

This gives you some tips and general knowledge that will help. Plus check out youtube and there are some videos that give you a general idea of what your doing as well. Building a PC is not really that challenging...its mostly screwing stuff in and connecting all the wires. When you break each piece down its like building a engine....looks impossible but once you break it down its just a step by step process.

The entire page is filled with information....read it over and look it over. If you want the best parts ask on the forum here and most people will guide you in the right direction within your price range. In fact a lot of members will build the system for you with links to each part / price. So feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Last edited: