What would it take to make data be completely unrecoverable?

Would any of the following cause the data on my hd be completely unrecoverable?:

1> Delete/Create Partition, and Full Format
2> Format 4 times

How many formats can be done on my hd before data becomes completely unrecoverable?

claptonman

Reformatting it will not take the info off of it. You need to write over the used space over and over again. You can do it a couple of ways.

First way is use a utility called Boot N Nuke. You have to boot to the CD, and it will write over the hard drive with random data. You usually want to do this at least 7 times. I don't know how many times you can choose for Boot N Nuke, but it'll be enough.

Second way is if you have a drive as a secondary drive in a computer. You can just use Ccleaner. (Great program in of itself.) You can choose a disk you want to write over, and can do it 1, 7, or 35 times. 35 is overkill, but if you want to be sure...

Hope that helps/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would any of the following cause the data on my hd be completely unrecoverable?:

1> Delete/Create Partition, and Full Format
2> Format 4 times

How many formats can be done on my hd before data becomes completely unrecoverable?

Please refrain from creating new threads about the same issue. All your threads could have been cut down to at least 2 threads only, basically a memory issue and HDD issue.

I asked this question, and it wasn't answered twice, in two different threads:

"Would these programs be good enough to recover any lost data if any data was recoverable?:
Gparted Recovery Live CD
Smart Partition Recovery
Active Partition Recovery Enterprise v6"

I lost 20 Gigs of data, and used these programs above for 4 runs at 7 hours each!!!! I was not able to recover ANY data at all. I am trying to figure out how this happened and how to prevent it from happening again. So if you know what the "limitations" on data being able to be RECOVERED, then this issue is solved and the thread and this question will be done.

A problem unsolved, a question unanswered -- there is still an issue.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing is full proof. Being able to recover data from a drive that has been formatted is gonna be 50/50. Theoretically, as long as the space where the data was, wasn't written with new data then it should be recoverable. However, there are always reasons why it can't be recovered.

If you are worried about your data....back it up, back it up, back it up. Thats the best instructions anyone can give you.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
To make data completely unrecoverable,use KILL DISK by using a 35 passes with zeros on all HDD sectors using Gutmann method.

To make your data 100% safe and never lose anything again,buy or make your own data device with let's say 10 hard disk drives.On first 5 you will hold everything on and other 5 will simply be a copy of first 5.And make sure that the area in which you hold that device is cool and very very well protected from others.This is how I do it:
X6fqy1.jpg

And trust me...20 GB of data which you lost is nothing compared to what I could lose lol.That is why I have this kind of protection.

Cheers!

Problem solved. It was just BAD LUCK...

Stars,
From what Larsch is saying, which I didn't know [I too thought that a killdisk was 100% secure -- guess I was wrong], it looks like your method is only 90-99% secure. And this amount is lowered even further if you do not check the data that is going INTO the "vault". Without a security program or separating contaminated material, you could potentially infect your entire nest, all 1,000 Gigs of data that you have!!

However, despite these minimal risks, I still think that it is a clever idea in its own right. Though some people may call it "second rate".

Larsch,
When you are talking about "firmware", you are referring to the hd's, software, and anything that is connected to the device such as through a cord -- I don't think wireless connection counts, unless they have come up with something new?

Okedokey

The only way to completely remove data is to chemically change the platter (e.g,. burn). Magnetic changes are physical.

PROBLEM
What are the limitations of being able to recover data on a hd, even WITH recovery programs?

SOLUTION
1 format "can" permanently make ALL data completely unrecoverable as effectively as a killdisk!!!

Capain Kirk

CAN DATA BE RECOVERED?

With the XP installation:
When you insert XP and it goes to the blue screen to start the setup process, it asks you what partition that you'd like to setup Windows on.
And there is also the option to "Delete Partition".

I deleted/created a partition in the XP setup, then formatted.

voyagerfan99:
"No. It's nowhere near as secure as Killdisk. It simply deletes the partition from the drive table. I'm sure if you used a more advanced recovery program you might recover something, but most of the time you're not lucky enough to."

johnb35:
"The XP install disk allows you to delete the existing partitions and format them. However, its always possible to recover data from formatted partitions. The only true way to wipe a drive is to use killdisk or dban."

voyagerfan99:
"Well the issue I see is you tried to recover the partition after it had already been formatted. You can only recover a partition if the partition has only been deleted and nothing on the drive has been formatted. That is your main problem."

Captain Kirk:
"Larsch, What about if you delete/create a partition AND then do the full [not quick] format, would this be enough to make any data COMPLETELY unrecoverable?"

larsch:
"Not if you are using xp."

johhny:
"you can still recover the files using some recovery software applications."

Captain Kirk:
"I lost 20 Gigs of data, and used 3 recovery programs for 4 runs at 7 hours each!!!! I was not able to recover ANY data at all."

"Would these programs be good enough to recover any lost data if any data was recoverable?:"
"Are these programs considered ADVANCED RECOVERY PROGRAMS?"

"Gparted Recovery Live CD
Smart Partition Recovery
Active Partition Recovery Enterprise v6"

johnb35:
"Nothing is full proof. Being able to recover data from a drive that has been formatted is gonna be 50/50. Theoretically, as long as the space where the data was, wasn't written with new data then it should be recoverable. However, there are always reasons why it can't be recovered. "

bigfellla's Reply:

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You people are overreacting.If you are SOOO afraid that someone will recover your data then just melt the entire hard disk drive:
iosafe9.jpg

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You people are overreacting.If you are SOOO afraid that someone will recover your data then just melt the entire hard disk drive:

Re-read this thread. He's been trying to unsuccessfully recover his own data.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Well, you were the one that posted the picture of your system. It almost looks like the one from Prison Break. So if anyone needs to be paranoid, it is you :eek:

Hey I am just careful.:D:D:D:D:D:D
By the way don't try to break into my system data room,otherwise you can say GOODBYE to your head ^.^

Re-read this thread. He's been trying to unsuccessfully recover his own data.

Umm...I never tryed unsuccessfuly recover my own data in the past 10 years and I also never lost anything in the past 10 years.

response

Stars,
Good for you that you haven't lost any data in the last 10 years. Guess you just got 50/50 lucky as Johnb35 said. I lost 20 Gigs of data! 20 Gigs of data from my head said GOODBYE..

Wolfeking,
I not TRYING to cause my data to become unrecoverable on 'purpsose' -- I'm trying to prevent data from being lost in the future. I wanted to know how data can be permanently lost so that I don't do these things. I also wanted to know if the recovery programs that I was using were 'good' enough to be able to recovery data, if the data could be recovered.

But anyways, your comment was pretty funny nonetheless:D

Johnb35,
Bigfellla does not seem to think that data can become unrecoverable after a single format, even after you stated:
"Nothing is full proof. Being able to recover data from a drive that has been formatted is gonna be 50/50."

--Captain Kirk