What would you do with a $1000?

bldgengineer

Looking to upgrade my current setup. Everything minus monitor, case, power supply, keyboard and mouse.

I have a 1000w SLI certified power supply, intel C2D 6600 2.66 cpu, and 2 evga 8600 gts'. I need to be able to run Adobe CS5 Master and Autodesk 2008 and possible solidworks 2010 with some occasional light gaming. Fallout, Mass Effect, Diablo..those types.

Must be reliable and good raid backup capability

Just curious to see what some of you might come up with. I have an idea but maybe someone has a better one! :good::D

claptonman

Yeah, most new motherboards are 3.0 nowadays. I just ordered a larger external with 3.0. Excited to see how fast it is.

StrangleHold

Staff member
What is it with this dude and USB 3.0? He has already been told, there is already 3.0 out. But keeps posting that same line.

FXB

Sorry it too so long.

Case is an Antec three hundred

Power supply is a Corsair

The antec three hundred is pretty bad on cable management options. if your thinking or doing SLI or crossfire try and get a bigger case with better cable management options.

bldgengineer

I'm not stuck on the $1000 limit if its better in the long run to go over $100 or $200 then I can do it without an issue so I am open to options

bldgengineer

The case isn't much on features. A few cable management holes in the backplate would help. Or a diff case at the end of the budget if it allows, perhaps.

You thinkin' Intel or AMD?

Intel or AMD it doesn't matter to me. If I gotta start from scratch then I'm starting from scratch lol but if I don't have to spend money on something that I don't have to have then why should i?

There's 3.0 and 3.0

What is it with this dude and USB 3.0? He has already been told, there is already 3.0 out. But keeps posting that same line.

Not quite. Motherboards are out, but the stores don't have the computer system on their shelves, not yet (Intel announced this will be happening the first half of 2012).

I hope this clears up the confusion.

wolfeking

banned
there are computers out with the 3.0 ports from major manufacturers.

The intel 3.0 controller (chipset) is all that has been delayed. It is releasing in the 2011 socket, so late this year, not 2012.

Thanks for the update

there are computers out with the 3.0 ports from major manufacturers.

The intel 3.0 controller (chipset) is all that has been delayed. It is releasing in the 2011 socket, so late this year, not 2012.

This thread has inspired another post in this subforum. (working my way towards
100).

Cheesecake2k

No, don't get the antec 300. cable management is a nightmare. I use the haf 912, it's probably your best bet on the price of the case.