What would you do?

guy patterson

I'm starting law school in the fall and am getting a new laptop. What would you get if you were me. Consider the following:

I want something very portable; nothing bigger that 14.1"
An optical drive is a must
I don't game much, but it's gotta be able to handle it when I do
I pretty much want top-of-the-line components
Max price is $2,500

Also, please tell me what you wouldn't get. If you (or a buddy) have had problems with a particular laptop, let me know. So far my top choices are the dell latitude series and the sony sz series. Any discussion is appreciated!

guy patterson

Toshiba - CPU get's to hot and crashes.

Dell - Known for motherboards to crack.

HP or Acer all the way

Or a Mac Book Pro :eek:

Ah, I'm not really wanting an apple. I'm very comfortable with windows, plus I want to be able to play the latest games if I have time. I am considering HP though.

What about the sony sz? Has anyone had (or heard of) any specific problems with it?

guy patterson

I don't think you would find one that small really.

Seriously? There are tons of laptops out there with screens that small.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117639

I wish I could afford that. Sony is a great way to go if you can afford it. This one is fast, has tons of ram, a huge hard drive, and a really nice size.

That one is awesome. It's my top choice right now by far; its very portable and very powerful.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'm starting law school in the fall and am getting a new laptop. What would you get if you were me. Consider the following:

I want something very portable; nothing bigger that 14.1"
An optical drive is a must
I don't game much, but it's gotta be able to handle it when I do
I pretty much want top-of-the-line components
Max price is $2,500

Also, please tell me what you wouldn't get. If you (or a buddy) have had problems with a particular laptop, let me know. So far my top choices are the dell latitude series and the sony sz series. Any discussion is appreciated!

Macbook Pro, 15"

Can run windows, so you can game and it has a GeForce card in there that will handle most games

1" thick so its light weight

has every feature you would ever want in a laptop including:

Built in A/B/G/N wireless
web camera
Firewire 400 and 800
USB
Gigabit ethernet
back lit keyboard
SMS sensor
DVD burner - super drive
2gigs of RAM standard
Tons of software

On top of all that you can run any OS you want on it. This also opens up tons of nice free open source software as well.

You can afford the top of the line 15" for $2500

PabloTeK

That Sony's OK but the graphics aren't any good for gaming. You'll struggle for a good gaming laptop for less than 14.1" because of the size of the cooling arrays needed for more powerful components. Rock Direct have a dual 8800GTXm laptop that weighs in at around 4KG because of the cooling needed!

The Mac Pro is an excellent choice as tlarkin said.

guy patterson

Macbook Pro, 15"

Can run windows, so you can game and it has a GeForce card in there that will handle most games

1" thick so its light weight

has every feature you would ever want in a laptop including:

Built in A/B/G/N wireless
web camera
Firewire 400 and 800
USB
Gigabit ethernet
back lit keyboard
SMS sensor
DVD burner - super drive
2gigs of RAM standard
Tons of software

On top of all that you can run any OS you want on it. This also opens up tons of nice free open source software as well.

You can afford the top of the line 15" for $2500

That Sony's OK but the graphics aren't any good for gaming. You'll struggle for a good gaming laptop for less than 14.1" because of the size of the cooling arrays needed for more powerful components. Rock Direct have a dual 8800GTXm laptop that weighs in at around 4KG because of the cooling needed!

The Mac Pro is an excellent choice as tlarkin said.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback! You guys have been a tremendous help so far. I have a few more questions though:

-Will the sony's card handle games like counterstrike and call of duty modern
warfare?
-Is the GeForce card in the mac better than the 128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M that I can get with a dell latitude?
-I know the macs will run windows, so this means I can play every game I would be able to play on a PC?

tlarkin

VIP Member
here goes the sepcs of the 2499 macbook pro

Specifications
spacer.gif

* 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
* SuperDrive 8X (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
* Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

That quadro will suck hard for gaming, that quadro is a work station card meant for doing distributed computing on higher end applications like 3D and video work.

Yes you can run windows natively, so everything you can run on windows you can also run on windows on your mac.

guy patterson

here goes the sepcs of the 2499 macbook pro

That quadro will suck hard for gaming, that quadro is a work station card meant for doing distributed computing on higher end applications like 3D and video work.

Yes you can run windows natively, so everything you can run on windows you can also run on windows on your mac.

I can't believe it, but I'm actually considering buying a mac. I never though those words would come out of my mouth.