What you think about computer shops?????

scooter

banned
Hope you have alot of time and money and don't expect to be turning a real profit for at least 2 years.

Also, hope you have suppliers, money to pay rent on a shop, run a website, possibly have employees, there is demand in your location and it isnt over saturated with established competition...

Assuming you've taken care of all that--opening a shop can be a very good idea.

I co-run a business and yeah I think they are great but don't underestimate the effort and sacrifice you as an owner need to make.

Cpetrie

Also, I think it can be difficult to turn a profit with companies like Newegg eager to undersell you. I would love if a shop opened in my area, I'd be there every day.

tremmor

about 7 yrs ago i was headed into town to buy a motherboard. i remembered someone mentioned check this guy out. did a quick turn and headed to his house. went to the back and he worked out of the garage. not a garage though. it was a huge office where he worked. i talked to him and he didn't want to sell one. made me a deal though. said go get my computer and if its the motherboard he would replace right now for $35.00 installation. he was an intel rep. he also ran a server for the police department, local school and fire department. he's built four for me. but everybody in this house has one. have three myself in my computer room. my wifes computer room and the garage.
Im done building.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Local shops in an area where there's very little competition and comparatively high demand sounds like a good idea, many people prefer to buy stuff on-site rather than online so if you can offer great customer services (bend over backwards for your customers), chances are you can eve charge a little premium over more popular competitors like, say, newegg. Local shop + top-notch service = WIN! (great service out of those two is obviously way more important)

ScOuT

VIP Member
I have two local shops near me. One shop is junk....the other one is great, kinda small and cool people that work there, really know what they are talking about. They carry an awesome selection of hardware and software. That place is packed all the time! 3/4 of their total business is just normal families bringing their 3 or 4 year old computer there because it "don't work that good anymore"

The only problem is they are so expensive:( I was looking at a Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB drive. You can find them on the interweb for under $280 all over the place. The computer store wants 340 Euro....that's over $400! I just can't buy anything there...my friends don't either...they just plain and simple charge too much.

A nice computer shop with smart people working there with good prices....I would deal only with them, that would be awesome:)

Well we have a few out here. (Not planning on opening it here) They all suck. Three of them are dumps and treat people like shit because the customer does not understand what there talking about. One that is nice and has good customer service but its way pricey. They charge as labor rates 75 an hour... Plus parts and fees. I got so sick and tired of going to these shops i decided that one day i will open one that has a wide variety of parts, cables, games, accessories and great prices and customer service. It will be great a mix of a Radio shack so to speak and a top of the line computer repair and sales shop. Im currently in school for a Associates in computer Support services. IT WILL BE GREAT LOL :cool::cool::cool::cool:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I work at a computer shop. We've been open for a little over a year :D

Business is great. You just need to be competitive and not undercharge/overcharge.

Not only do we service computers, but we also refurbish and sell new/used computers. For our refurbished machines, we get commercial grade Dell's/HP's/etc. from a company called Intecra. They have pretty good prices.

oregon

I would think starting a computer shop would be hard because you would have to maintain a decent inventory yet also sell before parts lose value.

I work at a computer shop. We've been open for a little over a year :D

Business is great. You just need to be competitive and not undercharge/overcharge.

Not only do we service computers, but we also refurbish and sell new/used computers. For our refurbished machines, we get commercial grade Dell's/HP's/etc. from a company called Intecra. They have pretty good prices.

I would love to learn the tricks of the trade. I love computers and technology. I cant seem to work for the ones out here though. I was working at one and the owner fired me because i fixed something that he couldn't. Any one who has any advice or would be will to help or even join me in this pursuit let me know.

just a noob

selling parts isn't where the money is at, its doing service on people's computers, i have one local store in my area, very nice, they aren't too overpriced for being small, but they are currently full, so i can't find employment there :(

scooter

banned
selling parts isn't where the money is at, its doing service on people's computers

Correction...the money is in selling/building full gaming rigs and having a 2 day turnaround time. People pay big money for fast service and to not have to do anything cept answer the door, open the box, and hit the power button.

:cool:

Cleric7x9

I would think starting a computer shop would be hard because you would have to maintain a decent inventory yet also sell before parts lose value.

WELL PUT!

im the lab manager in a small computer shop. it is a very difficult business. 95% of our profit comes from service (of which we do a lot bc we are right next door to the geek squad at best buy and our prices and turnaround time are much better) and 5% from retail sales. Just so you know, MOST vendors' prices are higher than newegg to begin with, so dont expect to be even close to as cheap as them, or any other online retailer.

if you are going to open a shop, make your service department the #1 priority

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
WELL PUT!

im the lab manager in a small computer shop. it is a very difficult business. 95% of our profit comes from service (of which we do a lot bc we are right next door to the geek squad at best buy and our prices and turnaround time are much better) and 5% from retail sales. Just so you know, MOST vendors' prices are higher than newegg to begin with, so dont expect to be even close to as cheap as them, or any other online retailer.

if you are going to open a shop, make your service department the #1 priority

It's the exact same at my store.

We order EVERYTHING off Newegg, so of course we mark everything up a little it so we can make a profit. We only make about $50, if not less, on the laptops we sell. The desktops haven't been selling as good lately, but the ones we get in trade and whatnot we get all the profit on, which is good.

Our turn around time is usually same day, since I am such a good service tech ;) and our prices are much cheaper and of better quality than places such as Geek Squad, Fire Dog, and Staples Easy Tech.

$40 Diagnostic Fee
$50 Data Backup (Usually over 1GB)
$89 Virus/Spyware Removal
$125 Hard Drive Reformat & Windows Reload
$175-->up for laptop DC Jack replacements
(I let my boss do the D/C jack replacements [some are an utter biotch to disassemble]. I'm just getting into deeper laptop repair other than LCD replacement/keyboard/memory/processor/heatsink/etc.)

We have a place down in Florida that repairs bad motherboards for a good price too, and they're speedy too.

Last edited:

Cleric7x9

It's the exact same at my store.

We order EVERYTHING off Newegg, so of course we mark everything up a little it so we can make a profit. We only make about $50, if not less, on the laptops we sell. The desktops haven't been selling as good lately, but the ones we get in trade and whatnot we get all the profit on, which is good.

Our turn around time is usually same day, since I am such a good service tech ;) and our prices are much cheaper and of better quality than places such as Geek Squad, Fire Dog, and Staples Easy Tech.

$40 Diagnostic Fee
$50 Data Backup (Usually over 1GB)
$89 Virus/Spyware Removal
$125 Hard Drive Reformat & Windows Reload
$175-->up for laptop DC Jack replacements
(I let my boss do the D/C jack replacements [some are an utter biotch to disassemble]. I'm just getting into deeper laptop repair other than LCD replacement/keyboard/memory/processor/heatsink/etc.)

We have a place down in Florida that repairs bad motherboards for a good price too, and they're speedy too.

our prices are as follows:

$60 Diagnostic Fee
$70 Data Backup (Usually over 1GB)
$85 Virus/Spyware Removal
$75 Hard Drive Reformat & Windows Reload
$200 laptop DC Jack replacements

we have 6 techs, our turnaround time is 2 days average. we do about 20 computers/day

Very nice thank you. My father owns a slot shop that i helped him open and i know what you mean about customer service and repairs being number one that is our biggest source of revune.

ikermalli

My uncle had a small computer shop for 5 years, and a few years ago he had to close it down because they weren't making enough money as they didn't have enough suppliers of parts, and they weren't making much profit, but now he works at some cellphone place so it's all good.