whats a good motherboard for the g3258 chip

kdfresh09

hello. im looking ot buy a motherboard so I can overclock the intel g3258 chip. I don't want to spend more than $75, and im looking to get something that is based on the 87 or 97 chipset, and from asus, msi, or gigabyte. no q series boards though, but im open to h, b and z series chipsets. any opinions would be great. thanks

ninjabubbles3

I bought a Gigabyte Z97x- SLI for my build. Doesnt OC too well, but it was like 85 bucks on sale.

At that price, you wont get an OCing board, you would have to buy a Z97 board to do that, most are at least 80+ dollars

kdfresh09

no, I don't NEED a z97 board to overclock. many motherboard companies released bios updates for the h, and b series boards so they can overclock the Pentium anniversary edition. you can also overclock any "k" scewed cpu as well on these chipsets as long as you have a bios that allows for it. so far ive seen msi, gigabyte, and asus release bios versions that state specifically that it unlocks features for the enhancement of the g3258, which is unlocking the board to adjust the multiplyer.

tylerjrb

You won't get a good overclock board for that price. Yes it will overclock but not by much before the board gets too hot. There's a reason why more expensive boards have heatsinks over the mosfets and bridges. This is to keep it cool as overclocking drags more power therefore more heat and a cheap board you will find it will get too hot on high overclocks, this may even lower cpu speed while under operation due to temperatures.

Last edited:

kdfresh09

so this msi guard pro h97 is what I decided to go with. got it for $60 on sale from newegg. heatsink on mosfets, and was able to overclock the g3258 on it from 3.2ghz, to 4.5ghz. pretty damn good if you ask me, especialy it being h97, and only $60.