What's a good portable laptop (sub 3lbs) for bike touring!!

ender

I need something small and light as I am going on a bike tour for 30-40days. I do not need much in terms of power/memory other than a pentium processor or similiar (needs to be able to run Garmin mapsource). Its really only for emails, word processing and running the mapsource so I can download to a GPS. It does not need an internal cd/dvd, but it does need an external one so I can download the mapsource.
Would prefer a wireless card.

I want to find something used but want to be careful that I am buying something that will be worth it and not have problems while I am on the road.

Is anyone familiar with ultra-lite, portable laptops? Any input? Any brands to stay away from? Any help is welcome!!

thanks
anne

shupola

i have never heard of a laptop sub-3 pounds. thats super lite.try this one. it has a small screen at 10.6in, a slow processor, and costs 2300 bucks! but the rated battery life is an amazing 7 hours and it only weighs 3.8 pounds. if you are willing to shell out that much, it would fit the needs you described perfectly. other than that, the only word i can give you is good luck.

pc club guy

shupola said:
battery life is an amazing 7 hours

WOW:eek: mine only lasts 45min. max!

"Any brands to stay away from?"

i dont know of any, but if you plan to be outdoors with it, maybe you should consider something thats durable, like the ones with protective rubber or something. cuz they are delicate. mine was flying around in my car one day...llol.. luckily nothing happened to it.