What's Dead?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I had my computer on before, simply playing music when it suddenly BSOD'ed. I couldn't catch the stop code, so I'm not sure what the problem relates to. I reset my PC, and when it booted up, it was as if there were no drivers; my res was huge, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work (both USB), yet the PC was still active (I could see CoreTemp changing).

I shut it down, left it for a while. Booted it back up and it did a scan on the C: Drive before it booted into Windows. I think it was a chkdsk.

Anyway, I've been having a few problems with BSOD's at start-up (with the green loading bars), but didn't really think anything of it as it was pretty infrequent and didn't happen when I was actually using the computer. Yet, this has now got me worried because I've just started my second year of Uni and not having a computer would be a serious kick to the nuts, since I'm doing an iMedia course.

Here's a screen shot of my Event Viewer, maybe it's of some help?
61f7c54untitled1.jpg

I've ran SeaTools in DOS mode and apparently, it's Ok. Speedfan also reports it as being Ok... Hmmmmm?

I'm guessing that my HDD could be on the blink, I've had what I thought were problems with it in the past. The evidence sort of points to the HDD, right?

Thanks for the replies!

bomberboysk

Those are NTFS Filesystem errors. Hard drive may be failing(which ive had happen on 3 7200.11's out of the two in my rig, yes three because one of the rma'd ones arrived DOA)

Download seatools for dos, run a Long Generic and Long Drive Self Test.

funkysnair

VIP Member
oooo that doesnt look good!!!

ive never had a hard drive fail on my yet, prob cos i never keep my pc's long enough lol

Kornowski

VIP Member
That HUGE log is 3 days old

What's been happening since then?

Oh, that screenshot was taken on the day that it happened, I've just been a little slow in posting this up as I've been a little busy. It hasn't done anything since, but it can be a few days between it BSOD's at startup.

I've swapped my SATA power connectors to a different output on my PSU, see how that goes.

Those are NTFS Filesystem errors. Hard drive may be failing(which ive had happen on 3 7200.11's out of the two in my rig, yes three because one of the rma'd ones arrived DOA)

Download seatools for dos, run a Long Generic and Long Drive Self Test.

Hmmm, it's not a new drive, either.

I've ran Seatools in DOS, read above ;)

oooo that doesnt look good!!!

ive never had a hard drive fail on my yet, prob cos i never keep my pc's long enough lol

I know :(

Kornowski

VIP Member
Sure thing, I only have one in there.

It's dated the 26th though, I'll upload it. Thanks!

Attachments

• Mini092609-01.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 7

kimsland

Sure thing, I only have one in there.

It's dated the 26th though, I'll upload it. Thanks!

Actually it was dated: 27/09/2009 10:20:41
The crash states that you need to update your drivers (likely Audio driver)
But I will suggest that ypou also do all MS Security Updates (as well)
Sometimes it can be related to your Antivirus or personal firewall as well, which ones do you use?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Actually it was dated: 27/09/2009 10:20:41
The crash states that you need to update your drivers (likely Audio driver)
But I will suggest that ypou also do all MS Security Updates (as well)
Sometimes it can be related to your Antivirus or personal firewall as well, which ones do you use?

Surely a bad sound driver can't cause a BSOD at startup? (It BSOD's when the green loading bars are moving accross).

I have all the MS updates, I get 'em all as soon as they come out.

I use MS Firewall and Avast Anti-Virus.

kimsland

Surely a bad sound driver can't cause a BSOD at startup? (It BSOD's when the green loading bars are moving accross).
An even better way of seeing some of that "green loading bars" loading, is in Safe Mode where Windows actually shows you some of the drivers being loaded up ;)
In other words, yes the BSOD can be related to drivers loading with Windows, before you see the Desktop, some of these "drivers" can be the Antivirus drivers even (although Avast is quite good so scratch that one)

How did you go with confirming all manufacture drivers have been updated?
Although you questioned this part, you have forgotten to tell me

Kornowski

VIP Member
An even better way of seeing some of that "green loading bars" loading, is in Safe Mode where Windows actually shows you some of the drivers being loaded up ;)
In other words, yes the BSOD can be related to drivers loading with Windows, before you see the Desktop, some of these "drivers" can be the Antivirus drivers even (although Avast is quite good so scratch that one)

How did you go with confirming all manufacture drivers have been updated?
Although you questioned this part, you have forgotten to tell me

I have the latest drivers for my motherboard, so I don't think that's the problem. I actually updated them not so long ago when I was having the same issue. So I think I may end up buying a new HDD. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just got a system hang, I couldn't do anything and the sound looped. I think the HDD's is the problem, Eh?

Last edited:

kimsland

Fault is caused by AVG

Please uninstall AVG normally in Control Pane >l Programs > AVG > Uninstall
Before restarting run the AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Restart

Fault is now gone

Consider another (lighter and in my view better) Antivirus software:
Free Avira Antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/
Download > Update > Run a full scan (this because Avira has a better detection rate than AVG)

Report on findings

Done :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks a lot, dude! I'll un-install it and try out another one and see how it goes! :)

You think this had been the problem the whole time? Could still be HDD related?

kimsland

Have now checked the original Minidump again
It also points to AVG as the only issue

Note: The reason why I had not known this before is because I have now downloaded the entire symbol packages from MS for debugging Minidumps (it was a very big download all up)
Anyway no its not HDD related

Kornowski

VIP Member
Have now checked the original Minidump again
It also points to AVG as the only issue

Note: The reason why I had not known this before is because I have now downloaded the entire symbol packages from MS for debugging Minidumps (it was a very big download all up)
Anyway no its not HDD related

Ok, great! Thanks a lot, buddy! I've just installed AVAST, so I'll see how it goes and get back to you! :)

kimsland

ok

But by the way, when I have quoted to try free Avira, why do so many members then try Avast! ?
I know its personal choice and all, but you must register Avast, and I find Avira better anyway (no I don't work for them or anything what-so-ever)
But all the reviews I see put Avira up the top of the list (please note: there are many of these lists, to find unbiased ones is difficult)

Anyway, Avast! is just as good I suppose, I personally use Avira ;)

bomberboysk

ok

But by the way, when I have quoted to try free Avira, why do so many members then try Avast! ?
I know its personal choice and all, but you must register Avast, and I find Avira better anyway (no I don't work for them or anything what-so-ever)
But all the reviews I see put Avira up the top of the list (please note: there are many of these lists, to find unbiased ones is difficult)

Anyway, Avast! is just as good I suppose, I personally use Avira ;)
Maybe because avast doesnt yell at you every 6 hours to buy it:p

I use avira though aswell because its the best free av if you take the time to make it stop yelling hehe.

Last edited: