What's going on under the hood?

plutoniumman

I've been using PCs since I can remember and Macintosh for about 6 years. I have a pretty decent idea of what's going on under the hood of computers. ...Or so I thought.

Shortly after I started using Macintosh computers, I've noticed rare and minor graphic glitches within application windows. The glitches occurred too quickly to get a good look, but once in a while it looked like a pixelated image of a frame of a video I had recently watched. Sometimes it looked like it was from a video I watched a week ago! But still, the little glitches happened too quickly to make anything of it, so I just dismissed it. I've never noticed this on PCs.

Just a few minutes ago, I was watching "All Good Things" by Nelly Furtado. I decided to install new updates, requiring me to restart my computer. When my computer finished loading, I opened a new tab in Safari—AND THERE IT WAS—Nelly's face all over Safari for ~3 seconds!

Why would the hardware retain a portions of a video I had watched from my previous session? Or more puzzling, possibly from even a week ago; where the computer had been completely shutdown for hours, clearing the RAM and VRAM for sure?

Does Apple use non-volatile RAM or something? Maybe that's why Apple RAM is so much more expensive lol

...This little graphics glitch happens on all my macs, all 3 of which have different brand GPUs (1 intel, 1 ATI and 1 NVIDIA).

FuryRosewood

Apple's ram is currently ECC ram, due to using workstation based cpu's and motherboards, thats the only reason it sorta costs more, its server ram, otherwise its the same server ram you can get off newegg.