Whats important when building a computer?

pauldave

Everyone says that building your own computer is easy, and I assume that it is once you have done it and know how. But what are the important things that I need to know when building a computer to make sure that it doesn't over heat or break when I am putting it together? I am talking like the thermal glue that you need to put on whichever part that you need to put it on. Please dumb it down for me beings its my first time building a computer and I don't want to waist money buying the same part again cause I messed it up.

2048Megabytes

Here's some advice about electrostatic discharge: Electrostatic discharge is simply the discharge of built up static electricity. Electrostatic discharge however, should not be taken lightly when working with computers.

Only 10 volts of electrostatic discharge can damage computer components. Walking across a carpet can generate up to 12,000 volts of ESD (electro static discharge). Electrostatic discharge is especially a problem in dry and cold climates.

Electro Static Discharge can cause two types of damage in an electronic component: catastrophic failure and or upset failure. Catastrophic failure destroys a component beyond use. An upset failure damages the component so that is does not perform well even though it may function to some degree.

At the very least, you should touch the bare, unpainted metal of your computer case frame before handling any computer components to prevent damage to any parts in your computer.

Avoid touching chips or traces on any computer chips as you handle them. There is danger of electrostatic discharge damage.

onesandzeros

First of all

KNow all the PC parts and its uses
Read all manuals
be light handed
best of all ask a friend(knowledgeable) that can guide you
dont edit any bios settings unless you know what it is for

PS : regarding electro discharge, just touch the pc chassis first .just simple as that

funkysnair

VIP Member
as for the thermal paste-

you should put a pea sized amount in middle of processor and spread it even using something like a credit card!

best done when processor is in the motherboard socket! ;)

also before you clip you heatsink/fan in place just rest it ontop of your processor annd give it gentle movement then fix into place!