What's loading when you boot up

geranimo://

What's loading when you boot up and get that Windows XP logo? Cause that thing passes by a few times, though I think it should go faster..

I have a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 768 MB DDR-SDRAM

SearchEnDie

I think that is just the window loading:p But that has is happen to me too. It use to go pass like 2 times then go to the windows log in. But mine now goes pass's like 8 times now.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
To make it go past faster defragment your harddrive and take items out of "startup" that you dont need. These all add to the startup time, i keep mine clean and tidy all the time and do regular maintenace tasks on my PC every week.

I complete adware and spyware scans daily and full system antivirus scans every week. I take a full system backup image every month and transfer it to an external HDD.

NOW THATS SECURITY FOR YA.

houssam_ballout

or don't make ur programs run when ur pc start, go to start -->run -->msconfig -->startup,and then uncheck the program that u don't want load with the windows

and as dragon said it is good to keep ur pc updated and defragmanted,and check ur antivirus updates

houssam_ballout

go to the same procedure, but go to processes , and then unchck the sevices that u don't use ( uncheck that u r sure about them).
also, check that u donot haveany spyware, or ad-ware they are really bad?

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
BIOS stands for - Basic Input and Output Screen. It contains all the settings for the bootup sequence and all the settings for things like RAM timings and cpu frequencies. Its like the control center of your PC before windows has started up.

To update it you will need a tool that you can run from windows, as i said before, check your manufacturer website for details and full instructions.

apj101

VIP Member
How do I update it?

a) goto web site of the manufacturer of you motherboard
b) Download there latest version of BIOS (check that this is a later version than the one you already have)
c) Follow the instruction that come with the download, most likely require you to put the bios flash prog on disk, and use a boot disk to boot to dos.

And isn't there a big chance it goes wrong?
The is A chance, but in quantifying that we would need to know how competent you are

apj101

VIP Member
Jay Chou said:
I suggest you reinstall your OS if this can't be fixed at last.
drastic, are you suggesting reintalling the OS, or reformatiing the hdd and re-installing the OS

geranimo://

Jay Chou said:
I suggest you reinstall your OS if this can't be fixed at last.
Well it's not like it takes hours to load, I just think it go go a bit faster. I reformated recently, I'm not going to go through all that again :p

I'll try updating my BIOS, I've never done that before, but hey, there's a first time for everything :p

*EDIT: their (Asus) download page takes forever to load :confused: , guess I'll try again later

Last edited: