Whats the best way to leave your PC?

wellhellothere

I've always just turned my PC off at night (left power running through it). But it occured to me the other night, is it better to turn it off at the plug aswell, or perhaps to leave it on standby?

When i say better, i mean to increase the life of the pc..

Thanks!

MBGraphics

VIP Member
I just put mine on stand-buy because that way you dont have to go threw the whole start-up proccess which in time puts stress/wear and tear on your comp.

deankenny

i got a manual here wit a whole chapter on it, best thing to do is leave it on 24/7 never turn it off numerous reasons such as, a computer takes more power to start up then it does with 6 hours of usage, leaving comp off till the point cpu is really cold then turned on while running at this low temp for few mins is slowly killing the processor so more u turn it off more times u turn it on with the cpu very cold. its like the car i have got, take more petrol to start up, and coz its a high performance engine, if i race it str8 from starting it, it will seriously damage it. mind you i cant leave my car running 24/7 lol :p

ceewi1

VIP Member
a computer takes more power to start up then it does with 6 hours of usage
Not even close, peak startup draw (and this isn't even average over the startup period) is not usually more than about twice the idle draw, and is typically less than the full load draw. If your system took a minute to boot that would only use as much power as about 2 minutes of usage (and perhaps much less).

Burn_all

yea i was going to agree with ceewi, theres no chance that power is saved by leaving it on, if you want to lower ur eletric bill defintly turn it off over night, but i'd have to agree that it cuts down on wear n tear not turning it on and off, i've had my current rig for 4 years amnnd nothing has blowen its been a 24/7 rig, but my old rig used to get turned off every night and sometimes during the day, and i went thru 3 HD's on that one.

Geoff

VIP Member
i got a manual here wit a whole chapter on it, best thing to do is leave it on 24/7 never turn it off numerous reasons such as, a computer takes more power to start up then it does with 6 hours of usage, leaving comp off till the point cpu is really cold then turned on while running at this low temp for few mins is slowly killing the processor so more u turn it off more times u turn it on with the cpu very cold. its like the car i have got, take more petrol to start up, and coz its a high performance engine, if i race it str8 from starting it, it will seriously damage it. mind you i cant leave my car running 24/7 lol :p
Completely false, ceewi said it perfectly.

Even with a car, yes it takes more gas to start it up and drive it for 10 minutes while it's cold, but does that mean you will leave the car running overnight so it's warm in the morning, no!

wizle

My son and I ran a test for the year (2006) as to pwr consumption! It cost us a mere $10 for the year, leaving it running, compared to shutting down every night thru 2007. Thats here in Oregon, may be different elsewhere

wizle

My son and I ran a test thru 2006 and 2007! the difference between shutting down and leaving it on was only $10 thru those years. Thats in Oregon, may be different elsewhere

PabloTeK

Leaving it plugged in but not on allows the CMOS battery to trickle charge anyway so when you come to boot the system it doesn't throw it's toys out of the pram. Leaving it on 24/7 just wastes a lot of energy and reduces the life span of the PC fans compared to it being off.

G25r8cer

I almost always leave my pc on too for uploading and downloading stuff. Im not a leecher!! I just turn my monitor off and put all my fans on medium or low.

wellhellothere

But surely it does the system justice to switch off every now and then - my rig seems to run a lot smoother if its just been turned on...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I don't really use mine often enough to keep it in standby. I shut it down and then turn off the power strip. That way, I don't need to turn on my speakers or monitors.

G25r8cer

But surely it does the system justice to switch off every now and then - my rig seems to run a lot smoother if its just been turned on...

Very true!! I shut off my pc atleast every other day. Then again my 320gb hdd being almost full prob doesnt help my situation. LOL

royalmarine

computer's are designed to run 24/7

mine's been on for 4 weeks until yesterday when i decided to add a new graphics card.