whats the difference?

SuperDuperMe

whats the difference between dedicated serrvers and non dedicated

what would xbox servers for mw2 be classed as?

im curious as i want mw2 on my pc but everyones moaning about lack of dedicated servers and as i haver been a primarily console gamer i was wondering whats so good about dediacted servers.

Ryan_Fpv

(As far as online gaming)
Dedicated servers are 'dedicated' to being a server host for that particular game. Often they're just servers provided by cheap web hosting companies or the company who created/released the game. Non-Dedicated servers are servers that a player themselves has created is also often playing in.

Dedicated servers, being actual servers, generally provide lower pings as you don't have 30 people all trying to transfer data to and from one persons PC. In Non-Dedicated game servers, the creator of the server often has a distinct ping advantage over other players, and you can generally tell who the creator is, as they'll have 50 kills while everyone else only has 5-10 :p Non dedicated servers allow the creator, generally you or a mate, the ability to customise the set up options how they wish.

SuperDuperMe

ahh, so i have quite high ping generally (around 80-150) what would i be looking for more dedicated or non dedicated

Ryan_Fpv

You should be looking for servers that are in the same country/location as you, as that is a major cause for a high ping.
Dedicated servers will probably be the first place you should look, however if you are playing with a couple of friends who are in the same area as you, a non-dedicated server will work just as good, if not better (simply due to location).

A major problem with non-dedicated servers is if the server host decides to rage quit, the entire server gets shut down and everyone else who was playing gets forced out. Can be quite annoying when you're totally pwning and having a blast only for the server to be shut down. :(

Anyway, dedicated = Great for playing with 30 random people from around the world.
Non-Dedicated = Great for half a dozen friends playing together (especially since you can set a password to the server so only your friends can join).

SuperDuperMe

sounds good i will keep this all in mind, how do i check server location

i have an xfire account if theres anything in that can see where the server is

linkin

VIP Member
With certain games, you can have the ability to run a dedicated server from your own machine. This means you'll need to setup the options and any mods you want on the server for other people to play. And you'll need the computer to be left on.

For things like LAN parties, or just a group of friends bringing their computers over, hosting is okay as you're all really close and no one person will have a distinct advantage. A dedicated server is much better for people playing from different places in one country though. A lot of gaming clans setup or rent dedicated servers for their various games.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
MW2 is hosted by users, no dedicated servers. Cod4 and waw have dedicated servers, bad company 2 has dedicated servers.

SuperDuperMe

sweet

how do these games differ on pc, what are the players like, that was one of my main problems with xbox goofy players and 13 year olds :mad: lol

russb

sweet

how do these games differ on pc, what are the players like, that was one of my main problems with xbox goofy players and 13 year olds :mad: lol

I think better on the PC but i have only used my grandsons xbox as i am a PC user.(main problems with xbox goofy players and 13 year olds :mad: lol[/QUOTE )
You will not know that untill you play.Lots better on the PC than xbox and
ps3 but thats only what i think.:)

SuperDuperMe

i figured that, i mean iv not touched my xboxb for a few month since i got a crap pc, instead iv been playing battlefield 1942:p so much better tha most things on xbox

so yeah i think im now qa reformed pc'er