What's the difference

EeveeOnline

Hi so I know nothing about the inner workings of a computer and right now I am posting from a sorry excuse of a laptop. This laptop is turning 11 happy birthday I guess. I am looking into getting an actual desktop computer and I was wondering what's the difference if this laptop has 8GB and a newer one that's actually meant for gaming. Now here's where I get confused if I get a gaming PC with 8GB is it gonna be the same crappy 2 fps mess that I have now or will it give me better frame rate.

This is my current comp specsice_screenshot_20170614-231123.png

Jester89

The laptop your looking at probably has a lot better components. Faster CPU, faster ram, and of course a video card. What are you looking at for a desktop?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to game, get a desktop system so you can get an actual video card. Unless you spend a decent amount of money for a gaming laptop, it just isn't worth it. Gaming experience on a desktop is so much better anyway.

strollin

For gaming, a strong GPU (video card) is essential. Faster CPU, faster and more RAM is needed as well but a weak GPU can completely negate the gains from the other areas. Also, desktops tend to use full power CPUs whereas non-gaming laptops like the one you have tend to use lower power mobile CPUs which aren't as powerful.

EeveeOnline

IMG_1850.PNG
For gaming, a strong GPU (video card) is essential. Faster CPU, faster and more RAM is needed as well but a weak GPU can completely negate the gains from the other areas. Also, desktops tend to use full power CPUs whereas non-gaming laptops like the one you have tend to use lower power mobile CPUs which aren't as powerful.

So I should be looking for something like this?

Agent Smith

Get at least an i5 6600k and a GTX 1060. An SSD could help. You don't need fast RAM. 2666 MHz is all you need and at least 16 GB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
? What do you mean ?
I'm talking about his "Intel always beats AMD". It's a very close minded and useless statement as it's not true anymore. AMD CPU's sucked for a good 5+ years but they're back in the competitive game with Ryzen. Anybody that blindly follows one company is an idiot, and I say that as an AMD fan. Their CPU's sucked, that FX 6300 you mentioned earlier included.

Do you have a solid budget on what you can spend for a desktop?

EeveeOnline

I'm talking about his "Intel always beats AMD". It's a very close minded and useless statement as it's not true anymore. AMD CPU's sucked for a good 5+ years but they're back in the competitive game with Ryzen. Anybody that blindly follows one company is an idiot, and I say that as an AMD fan. Their CPU's sucked, that FX 6300 you mentioned earlier included.

Do you have a solid budget on what you can spend for a desktop?

Well I'm 18 and broke but I doubt my parents are willing to go over a thousand considering we are going to Switzerland and I have summer art program that is like 5k

Agent Smith

Why can't it be 8GB?

16 GB is the sweet spot right now for the amount of RAM you want to have. You could get by with 8 GB though I guess, but I'd just buy two 8GB sticks and be done with it. Make sure the RAM you chose is on the QVL list for the motherboard you plan on buying.