Whats The Upgrade Path Look Like?

beers

Staff member
Sold both of my 290s on eBay for somewhat close to $600, what graphical plays do you see coming out soon?

Seems to be a lot of negative vibes with the Vega Frontier Edition not performing well. Was taking a look at Volta but wasn't sure if I'd be paying like $800 for a single card at that point lol.

What play would you make for mid/high range?

Darren

Staff member
Sold both of my 290s on eBay for somewhat close to $600, what graphical plays do you see coming out soon?

Seems to be a lot of negative vibes with the Vega Frontier Edition not performing well. Was taking a look at Volta but wasn't sure if I'd be paying like $800 for a single card at that point lol.

What play would you make for mid/high range?

Honestly if I were you'd I'd just snag something cheap like a RX 550/560 or similar and roll with that until something more your performance/price range pans out. Should be able to flip the cheap card fairly easily and given it's lower value you won't be liable to lose much. You need something better than integrated video but the mid/high end GPU segment is kinda screwy right now.

Isn't like 90% of your usage Rocket League anyway? :D

Intel_man

VIP Member
GTX 1070 is a pretty good sweet spot for mid/high range.

Haven't seen the reviews/benchmarks of the Vega frontier edition yet. Cannot comment on it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
So I've looked around about the Vega Frontier Edition and it seems like the card is geared towards workstation purposes rather than gaming.

$999 or $1400 for liquid AIO, gets you mediocre gaming performance (on par to a 1080) for how much it's worth, but it also isn't "state of the art" quick versus the Quadro lineup. Everything I've read about it so far seems like AMD's confused at what it's suppose to be targeted at.

Maybe that'll change once it hits the shelves and goes on sale.

Darren

Staff member
So I've looked around about the Vega Frontier Edition and it seems like the card is geared towards workstation purposes rather than gaming.

$999 or $1400 for liquid AIO, gets you mediocre gaming performance (on par to a 1080) for how much it's worth, but it also isn't "state of the art" quick versus the Quadro lineup. Everything I've read about it so far seems like AMD's confused at what it's suppose to be targeted at.

Maybe that'll change once it hits the shelves and goes on sale.
It's definitely a workstation card and not a gaming card. I think people are talking about it's gaming performance in an attempt to extrapolate what Vega performance will be like on the consumer end. Which is honestly kinda pointless as drivers optimizations and various tweaks are more than inevitable before that drops.

beers

Staff member
Yeah they're supposed to launch a RX Vega as a gaming variant instead of a pro card. Will wait for some official benchmarks before making a conclusion but a lot of people seem somewhat disappointed.

Volta sounds like a monster but I haven't owned Nvidia since the 7900GT :p