What's the 'weakest' point of my PC?

My and a friend are having a discussion and would like the 'experts' on the forum to chim in. What is the weak point of my PC? Do I NEED more ram? Is the *older*(ha) Evo 850 holding back?

ASUS prime z270 MB
I7-7700k w/ coolmaster 212 tower fan
GTX1080
750watt psu
16GB 3200 RAM
Samsung Evo 850 SD (1TB)

Last edited:

_Glitch

Only you can answer if you need more ram. However i highly doubt it. More than 16 is mostly for professional video editing and servers.
All your hardware is great. I don't see anything needing to be upgraded. And yes, you SSD is still great too. If you want to upgrade that, it should be NVMe based storage.

Btw, don't you mean ASUS Prime Z270?
Also, what PSU do you have?

Calin

The build is great. No you don't need more RAM for now (unless you do professional video editing), when I went from 16 to 32GB I saw no performance gain at all. Like @_Glitch said, the SSD is still great.
If it was my system I'd replace the CM 212 cooler with something like an H100i. That's all I'd change.

beers

Staff member
That junks new enough, wouldn't you ask this before buying it ? :p

A 960 M.2 SSD would be a shitload faster than the evo you have, but that's already decently fast and wouldn't really impact your productivity at all. If you wanted a higher end build it's really X99 at that point.

Extra RAM is useful if you either need a larger cache or are under high utilization (like 85%+).

The 'more real' discussion is what performance level are you expecting, then we can make suggestions on how to get there.

_Glitch

That's a great board. I am jealous.
Fine psu too. I wound't upgrade anything myself, other than maybe the cooler. But even that is good enough.

That junks new enough, wouldn't you ask this before buying it ? :p

The 'more real' discussion is what performance level are you expecting, then we can make suggestions on how to get there.

I built the setup myself, then after a few beers, a good friend of mine goes: how could you build that with ONLY 16 GBs? And 3200mhz?? And omg what are you doing with a 850 Evo?... Made me feel a lil insecure lol. He's also not a fan of the i7 7700k cpu but for dif reasons.

And... To answer your question, I'm going for ultra level computer gaming at 1440p60 (until it get a new monitor)

Last edited: