What's Your Typing Speed?

ninjabubbles3

I hate to sound like an asshole but really if you have any job that interacts with a computer you should be able to touch type without looking at the keyboard at at least 50 wpm. I've seen people at my Dad's office using just their index fingers and it makes me cringe.

Also I was taught typing 3rd through 6th grade using a keyboard skin to cover it up and you had to get an average of 30wpm to pass the class in sixth grade. That might give me a bias. Typing should definitely be taught in school for at least 2 years. As much as those classes suck, they're very necessary. I gained most of my speed from programming all the time though in high school. I averaged I think 40-45 in 6th grade and was 90ish by the time I left high school.

Ninja, you'd love my keyboard. High quality membrane keyboard with low profile keys somewhere between the height of a laptop and a regular desktop keyboard.

We were required to take typing classes in 3-5. However it was pretty much useless. I type considerably faster with actual typing, not strange capitalizations and unnecessary commas.

Also, what keyboard do you have? Im in the market for a new one. Looking at the Razer deathstalker, or whatever the flat one is called, but those are scissor switches, so thats a nogo. Cant find a good, non squeaky membrane keyboard. I really like the ones at school, but they fall apart super easy, and squeak a lot. They're some Dell Ergo ones from 2009.

Darren

Staff member
We were required to take typing classes in 3-5. However it was pretty much useless. I type considerably faster with actual typing, not strange capitalizations and unnecessary commas.

Also, what keyboard do you have? Im in the market for a new one. Looking at the Razer deathstalker, or whatever the flat one is called, but those are scissor switches, so thats a nogo. Cant find a good, non squeaky membrane keyboard. I really like the ones at school, but they fall apart super easy, and squeak a lot. They're some Dell Ergo ones from 2009.

Microsoft Sidewinder X4, they look a little hard to find now though. Probably stopped making them. It's not... silent per se, but it's definitely no louder than a standard keyboard.

ninjabubbles3

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
There's a huge difference between the quality of my keyboard and something like that. I used that keyboard in HS and the difference is night and day. I don't know keyboards that well but I bet if you looked around you could find a good keyboard for around 50 bucks or so. The X4 was only 60-70 new I think. Sucks they stopped making 'em.

beers

Staff member
Eh I've found the keyboard usually doesn't make a huge difference unless it's one smashed together like the K400 where the keys aren't standard sized.

I am using a stock Dell one at work that is just the default they bundle with systems, if anything I'm as fast or faster than my K350 at home on it.

Darren

Staff member
Eh I've found the keyboard usually doesn't make a huge difference unless it's one smashed together like the K400 where the keys aren't standard sized.

I am using a stock Dell one at work that is just the default they bundle with systems, if anything I'm as fast or faster than my K350 at home on it.

I definitely got faster when I got my Sidewinder by about 5-10wpm. It's not a huge difference and I'm more recommending it for comfort and overall feel than actual speed.

fastdude

90 adjusted at 1 minute and 73 adjusted at 3 minutes. Also the 1 minute run was Aesop's Fables which I found easier than the baseball one.

tylerjrb

i can only manage about 60-70 lol, i don't think ive used a computer at work ever and i don't do much typing while at home. Could be better, how to manage over 100 wpm :0. I make too many mistakes.