When do you upgrade?

How long after a release would you upgrade?

• Straight away

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • When I buy a new computer/never

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Jonyboy

When it comes down to any operating system, it's natural for evolution to occur. As we all know, hardware changes over time and new features are competitors to others. We demand faster threading, efficient features to speed up every day tasks and fancy new eye candy.

However, we all have differing views and different time frames of change. Some will believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", others want the brand new best thing and others will won't to step back and see what happens, so whilst there are a few ways to question this time frame, in terms of a new release, when would you upgrade (applies to Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux and others) in terms of their original release.

I would follow that I would give it a few months before touching a new OS and let other users find the errors so that patches are made before my purchase. This would also verge on if it's working fine for me than I won't upgrade (I tend to be rather short on cash).

laznz1

as im not personally a gamer who need to get the latest OS to get the latest DirectX or so on so i just do it either when im bored have to

tremmor

i will. not with that poll. not enough options.
12 to 24 mo more like it. im not a gamer.
listened and watched many replies.
its only for security purpose only. use credit
cards constant. it will be the professional ver.

Twist86

as im not personally a gamer who need to get the latest OS to get the latest DirectX or so on so i just do it either when im bored have to

Vista will have DX11 so there no point in upgrading. Also no TRUE DX11 games will be out for at least 6+ months. Even DX10 took a year (some games claimed be DX10 when really it was DX9 in DX10 format)

I get all my OS for free. Sadly I refuse to spend $200+ for a OS....all I need is the latest DX + ability to connect to internet which is not worth the price tag.
I disable all the security features/programs/services and replace with FREE software that is safer and less resource hoggish.

I will be getting Windows 7 Ultimate in 3-4 weeks soon as my buddies old man gets them into the shop. He owns a PC place and they always send him free discs.
That is how I got Vista x64 as well that I use currently :p

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

I'm not quite on board with the whole Windows 7 craze yet. It still baffles me how everyone loves it, even before release, when it's so much like the Vista everyone hates. :confused:

Anyway, I'll give it a good year to see how all the bugs, if any, work themselves out.

I'm a gamer and I have Vista x64 with a decent setup. I need nothing else. :)

Twist86

@Bodaggit23

Microsoft made sure this time that everyone loved it. They lost a lot of potential cash due to the Vista hate wave of morons talking out their wazoo.

If you ask me most of the "reviews" these companies dished out were fake as hell to ensure everyone loved it. User reviews are showing a MUCH different result only like 5% upgrade over Vista in terms of boot + memory usage + gaming then the site reviews.

Also my buddy has 7 currently and it uses as much memory as Vista did before we started to gut his services (which in the end was like 100mb less then my gutted Vista rig)

Not worth the cash...only thing I hate about Vista is it resets my folders every 4-5 days which gets annoying :S

Last edited:

G25r8cer

^^ Hmm my stripped down Win7 runs much better than my stripped down Vista ever did. My Win7 uses aroun 720mb of my 4gb ram on idle. On vista it was more like 950mb.