When does the physical memory recover?

Sebouh

Hey guys!
I have a simple question. When i close 3ds max the system is slow for a while, does this mean that the ram is recovering(emptying space)?And if yes does recovery occure after every closing of an application or the application orders the ram to do so, or windows after the ram is full?
Oh, and does the recovery speed have to do with the frequency of the ram? i am guessing yes.
thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When you close SMAX its slow because "memory" allocate for the program needs to be cleared out so that other applications etc can make use of it. For smaller programs this takes about zero time since the memory is usually RAM and RAM is fast. For SMAX where you're dealing with massive filesizes and stuff, RAM isnt enough so Windows creates a type of virtual memory; when it clears out the virtual memory id imagine thats the speed drop

ZER0X

VIP Member
Praetor said:
When you close SMAX its slow because "memory" allocate for the program needs to be cleared out so that other applications etc can make use of it. For smaller programs this takes about zero time since the memory is usually RAM and RAM is fast. For SMAX where you're dealing with massive filesizes and stuff, RAM isnt enough so Windows creates a type of virtual memory; when it clears out the virtual memory id imagine thats the speed drop

Indeed, have a look in task manager when you close 3ds max there are 1 or more files created

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Would you believe both? (here ive got ~1.5GB swap)

Attachments

• mem.jpg
    mem.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 59