When I watch a video computer shots off

busurirh

Whenever I watch a video after a little while it shots down. Please help what can I do to fix this. I have Gateway 4100 E series, with XP pack 3. I recently upgraded the memory and now i have 2.48 GB.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Is the case dusty? That could be an issue - it's probably overheating.

I had the same machine in the slim case and if it got even a little bit dusty it would get very hot and shut off. I eventually swapped it into a better case (had to upgrade the video card) and it's a lot better at staying cool.

Last edited:

mtb211

clean it out

most luckly your Graphics card is overheating, maybe the fan isnt working or its dusty... use compressed air to clean out the computer... try putting a box fan on your system and see if it works, then your def know its overheating... or get a program that monitors the GPU temps/CPU

busurirh

Thank you that U replied my question. I tried ur suggestion, I put a fan next to pc and I watched a whole movie didn't turned off. so as you said it's the fan is not working properly. how can I fix this?

tasha1133

Thank you that U replied my question. I tried ur suggestion, I put a fan next to pc and I watched a whole movie didn't turned off. so as you said it's the fan is not working properly. how can I fix this?

if the fans are dead, replace them. If they are working, blow off dirt from the blades and casing using compressed air. do not use cloth as it might break the fan blades. If you are using a slim case, replace it with a bigger casing with more fans for better ventilation.. And move your PC away from the fireplace..