When is the best time to get AMD 64 S.939?

sirmixalot42691

Hello everyone. i've been noticing some price drops in socket 939 cpu like in frys ads and stuff. i thought about going for a 3000+ + an ecs board for $100, but i didnt know if the prices would go lower after the debut of am2. what are your guys opinion on this?

sirmixalot42691

well i googled it and looked in some forums. some of the guys htere said that prices wouldnt realy go down b/c amd is still manufacturing socket 939 chips until 2007. i dont know if thats true, but in that case, i wouldnt really want to wait a month after may 23 and see prices didnt go down.

fade2green514

don't confuse AM2 with socket 940. they're two different things, AM2 happens to have the same pin count thats all.
i'd say wait 2 months after AM2 is out...
Athlon XP's will last awhile at least.
wait til we see if "anti-hyperthreading" comes through, and if conroe's testing proves that it IS much better...
no reliable sources say that its that much better.

Last edited:

fade2green514

yea, your Athlon XP isn't obsolete yet. first of all, vista will come out in 32-bit versions. second of all, your system wont need even 4gb of ram yet, and thats 32-bit's maximum.
Athlon XP to Athlon 64 isn't a huge jump.
just see how the next half year or so goes and then see if you'll upgrade.
plus, DX10 will come out... now who wants to buy a 7900gt if it'll be obsolete in 3 months anyways lol...

note: the correct name is athlon 64 X2... its 64-bit lol

sirmixalot42691

fade2green514 said:
just see how the next half year or so goes and then see if you'll upgrade.
plus, DX10 will come out... now who wants to buy a 7900gt if it'll be obsolete in 3 months anyways lol...
i was originally gonna wait until late summer, but i thought that i would get a better deal on the socket 939 a little after am2 is released. that's my only concern and as for the video card, i could just buy the cpu+mobo and wait until directx10 cards come out. do you guys still think i should wait half a year or buy it something in june?

Dialamo

fade2green514 said:
DX10 will come out... now who wants to buy a 7900gt if it'll be obsolete in 3 months anyways lol...
Looks like I'm putting my computer buying on hold for a while.