When to replace PSU?

Twiki

I have a Seasonic 520M PSU that's been in three builds (i3 - i5 now r3) since 2012. It seems to be still strong but I hear they degrade in wattage from aging.

How do you know when it's time to replace em?

_Kyle_

I would suggest changing PSUs about every five years unless it starts acting up before then.

Darren

Staff member
I'd just leave it, you don't have a high end system so you've got plenty of overhead. I wouldn't use one longer than probably 8ish years but that's a good quality unit anyway so probably fine just running it until it dies.

Twiki

Thanks. I figured that my PC demands are rather liberal so I'm good for a couple more years.

Getting a quality PSU helps too. :cool:

Shlouski

VIP Member
It depends on the PSU and much work it has to do. From day one a PSU will be slowly deteriorating, its efficiency and the quality and amount of current it can supply will all fall. If you have a quality overpowered PSU then it will work for ages, but if you use a poor quality PSU that sits on borderline of being capable of what is required, then the deterioration will lead it to fail far sooner. I buy overpowered quality PSU's and more or less all have lasted 10 years, at which time I retire them to super light non critical duties, but I have also seen many cheaper PSU's die in a handful of years.

Twiki

I have too, why I quit buying them. Also they don't have power protections either. Since the top tier PSUs are overkill and rather expensive for me I went for 2nd/3rd tier models.

Intel_man

VIP Member
It's a decent PSU, not great, but does come with a 5 year warranty. I'd expect it to last 8+ years under "normal" circumstances.