When turning on HL2 on a newly built comp

iLL-Faded

mgoldb2 said:
There quite a few things that can cause this

overheating which I think we eliiminated already

PSU not giving enough power or faulty (what PSU do you have?)

video card drivers (have you updated this to newest)

Sound card drivers (try updating these to newest)

also you can try reinstalling direct x

Sound card check, video card check, directx check, psu unchecked

Edit: any suggestions of checking PSU?

Last edited:

j0hn00

Easiest option would be to go out and get another PSU. If your system still restarts when playing HL2, then return the PSU.

iLL-Faded

yeah I think its the PSU, since i have a crappy stock on and im ordering a new one, that might be the reason why it shuts off, because i tried to put in another hdd, and my computer wont even turn on, is that the reason why my comp just restarts it self? cuz of the crappy psu

mgoldb2

VIP Member
iLL-Faded said:
yeah I think its the PSU, since i have a crappy stock on and im ordering a new one, that might be the reason why it shuts off, because i tried to put in another hdd, and my computer wont even turn on, is that the reason why my comp just restarts it self? cuz of the crappy psu

I can not tell you for 100% certainly but it sounds like there a good chance that it the psu causing you problems.

iLL-Faded

mgoldb2 said:
I can not tell you for 100% certainly but it sounds like there a good chance that it the psu causing you problems.

ok after I get my new psu in start HL2,with no problems, ill get back at you guys

j0hn00

yeah I think its the PSU, since i have a crappy stock on and im ordering a new one
Where do you live? If possible, go out and buy one from a store. If you end up having to return it, you won't have to pay for shipping.

iLL-Faded

yeah i figured out the problem, it was the psu. I bought a new psu (its a great psu BTW its a Enermax EG495P-VE-SFMA Noisetaker 485W Power Supply) and when i plug it into the graphic card now it works great, no more random restarts

mgoldb2

VIP Member
iLL-Faded said:
yeah i figured out the problem, it was the psu. I bought a new psu (its a great psu BTW its a Enermax EG495P-VE-SFMA Noisetaker 485W Power Supply) and when i plug it into the graphic card now it works great, no more random restarts

Glad you got the problem fixed :)

alanuofm

VIP Member
opps didnt know there was page 3. yah next time if you're building a rig read psu101. very helpful and explains psu's really well.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it just restarts itself, when its at the loading screen for hl2, the comp just restarts its self, why is that? and there was no blue screen of death or an error message
QUESTIONS 101

i think i put on enough thermal paste... cuz i asked my friend and he said u might not put on enough but i think i did...
sounds like you might have put way too much on. should be 0.1mm thick.

Stock 420W PSU
Have a look at teh voltage stability here for yer Vcore and Vdimm ... might find out why yer restarting

Enermax EG495P-VE-SFMA
Nice PSU, got one of those sitting here :)

could be your psu. what does stock psu mean? is this a dell machine or something?
Power supply unit

wow you can type on the forum and check the temp at the same time?? youre good...
People can have multiple machines you know.... ;)