when will the game graphic reach its best..?

laxma

I just got my copy of Prince of Persia WW. I sat and enjoy opening. well, the FMV was good, dark, and intense But when I start to play the game, it's so totally different from the FMV. the picture is relativelly good, but nothing compared to the FMV.
I know the PC graphic quality is by far better than the PS2, but I'm sure even in the PC, the 'in-game' graphic is still somewhat inferior to the FMV..

So I wonder, when will the 'in-game' graphic quality matches with the FMV, at least has the same quality, where we cannot tell whether this is a FMV or in-game..

well...Just a question.. :D

Alphatronix

LOL.... nice question.. For starters, the reason FMV looks so nice is becuase there is no real time involved. They can create to their hearts content. BUT the game is real time.. Meaning, you press button, game does somthing... Put it to you this way, the only way they can make game play look like FMV is if they use fiber technology where the wires are made of gold my friend.. That would ALMOST eliminate data transfer times and graphics could rule the world.. You heard it though, i said almost... I don't believe they will ever have technology where data can flow at such rates that it would be concidered an enigma... Anyways, if they do come up with such technology then by the time they make somthing like that, the FMVs will look so realistical that ame play will still lack behing...

In conclusion:
#1 I dont think this is possible
#2 if it is possible, we wont see it in our life time.

smftexas86

YOu know what Alphatronix I am going to have to disagree with you on that. Look how far the graphics have come just compared to 10,5 or even 2 years ago. THey are going to find someway of making the FMV and the real time graphics to look the same, and I believe, it won't be to far along from today.

funkymonky8u

well i think there going to create like an onboard data compresser kinda thing for console games like they could shrink the maps and characters etc on games and send the data through the wires then uncompress it or something liek that or theyll just find a way to make things great quality from the best quality i.e. bmp's to jpg's...yall get it... eh eh eh? aww **** it

The-Llamalizer

I agree with smftexas86. The case and point for the graphics improving in only the last few years, is Black and White (3 years old) to now, say like a Far Cry or something. Its a massive leap. If it continues, I think it might be possible. And actually graphics of cinos and in game for Black and White really aren't that far off in my opinion.

ojfoggin

I have to agree with Alpha on the point about the in game graphics being realtime and you have to allow for calculations from input variables such as (walk forward) (jump) (shoot) etc etc so this will always mean that FMVs can look better than in game. As with all things though, graphics (as we know) are improving at a stupid rate and it will get to the point where the ability of computers takes over from the requirements.

At this point they will no longer need to improve the FMV quality (look at Animatrix) you don't need to improve on stuff like that. This leaves time for in game graphics to slowly progress to the same level.

There will be a point where in game looks the same as FMV but this is not because of advances in technology that allow this it will be because the FMV quality would not need to improve any further.

Oliver

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
YOu know what Alphatronix I am going to have to disagree with you on that. Look how far the graphics have come just compared to 10,5 or even 2 years ago. THey are going to find someway of making the FMV and the real time graphics to look the same, and I believe, it won't be to far along from today.
But when they make in-game better they'll be able to make FMV better :p

well I think there going to create like an onboard data compresser kinda thing for console games like they could shrink the maps and characters etc on games and send the data through the wires then uncompress it or something liek that or theyll just find a way to make things great quality from the best quality i
They've had that kinda idea with computer graphics for a long time :)

I have to agree with Alpha on the point about the in game graphics being realtime and you have to allow for calculations from input variables such as (walk forward) (jump) (shoot) etc etc so this will always mean that FMVs can look better than in game. As with all things though, graphics (as we know) are improving at a stupid rate and it will get to the point where the ability of computers takes over from the requirements
Quite correct ... anyone whos done any serious animation stuff will know those kinda calculations take friggen forever especially when you work in a volumetric environment :D