When you just get sick of helping helpless people...

mistersprinkles

I've been the most knowledgeable computer user, and therefore, tech support for my family for the better part of two decades now and man, am I ever sick of it.

I never minded helping my grandfather, god rest his soul, because he was willing to learn. Some people though, like my mom, want everything spoon fed to them and don't want to learn anything.

Due to her work, my mom is in hotels every week and she had told me she wished she could access her netflix on any TV anywhere she went. She has an ipad, so, last year for her birthday, I bought her an outrageously overpriced (Really Apple? $50 for a dongle?) HDMI dongle for her ipad, along with a 2 meter HDMI cable.

She told me from the get-go that it wasn't working. She just couldn't get it to work. I explained the process to her many times (Really? WTH is the deal with people who can't hook devices up to televisions? What the actual frig?) but she couldn't get it to work.

The other day I was having technical issues with my HTPC which led me to hook her ipad up to the TV in the living room to watch this show we both wanted to watch. Unsurprisingly, it worked flawlessly. She was shocked that I had gotten it to work. Through some conversation I had discovered that she had been trying to plug the dongle directly into HDTVs. No HDMI cable. The HDMI cable WAS IN THE LITTLE TRAVEL BUNDLE I MADE FOR HER (FFS FML WTF) but she hadn't put 2 and 2 together the 300 times I had explained the process of connecting the ipad to an HDTV.

This frustrates me to no end. It's one thing to not know how to do something, but I think that the average person, when it comes to technology, borders on SEVERE mental retardation. I don't know if it's out of fear or what but this BS has to stop.

How these people remember to breathe and don't just asphyxiate and drop like flies all over the streets I do not know.

_Glitch

You should go read /r/talesfromtechsupport
That's awesome. Thanks. Gonna be having a laugh.

Yeah sprinkles. Some people just give up immediately when they are confronted with a computer task they haven't tried before.
Embarrassing really. I am no handy man at all, but i recently fixed my sink. Haven't tried that before.

Punk

Staff member
I've been the most knowledgeable computer user, and therefore, tech support for my family for the better part of two decades now and man, am I ever sick of it.

I never minded helping my grandfather, god rest his soul, because he was willing to learn. Some people though, like my mom, want everything spoon fed to them and don't want to learn anything.

Due to her work, my mom is in hotels every week and she had told me she wished she could access her netflix on any TV anywhere she went. She has an ipad, so, last year for her birthday, I bought her an outrageously overpriced (Really Apple? $50 for a dongle?) HDMI dongle for her ipad, along with a 2 meter HDMI cable.

She told me from the get-go that it wasn't working. She just couldn't get it to work. I explained the process to her many times (Really? WTH is the deal with people who can't hook devices up to televisions? What the actual frig?) but she couldn't get it to work.

The other day I was having technical issues with my HTPC which led me to hook her ipad up to the TV in the living room to watch this show we both wanted to watch. Unsurprisingly, it worked flawlessly. She was shocked that I had gotten it to work. Through some conversation I had discovered that she had been trying to plug the dongle directly into HDTVs. No HDMI cable. The HDMI cable WAS IN THE LITTLE TRAVEL BUNDLE I MADE FOR HER (FFS FML WTF) but she hadn't put 2 and 2 together the 300 times I had explained the process of connecting the ipad to an HDTV.

This frustrates me to no end. It's one thing to not know how to do something, but I think that the average person, when it comes to technology, borders on SEVERE mental retardation. I don't know if it's out of fear or what but this BS has to stop.

How these people remember to breathe and don't just asphyxiate and drop like flies all over the streets I do not know.

Dude she changed your diapers when you were shitting yourself and couldn't figure out how to go to the bathroom so you owe her that help. Anyway that's not even the problem, I don't know you but I'm sure there are things on which you don't know and can't seem to learn yet you're happy someone is helping you.

My mom also is kinda tech illiterate but I don't see the problem with helping her, not everyone grew up with computers like we did.

_Pete_

Dude she changed your diapers when you were shitting yourself and couldn't figure out how to go to the bathroom so you owe her that help. Anyway that's not even the problem, I don't know you but I'm sure there are things on which you don't know and can't seem to learn yet you're happy someone is helping you.

My mom also is kinda tech illiterate but I don't see the problem with helping her, not everyone grew up with computers like we did.

Tolerance, patience and a sense that not everyone is as clever as he seems to think he is are some of the things that person needs to learn. This guy has had a go at me on another thread. I did cut him down in no uncertain terms and blocked him so I don't really know why I am seeing posts from a poster that I couldn't care less about.

Oh look his post suddenly disappeared now theres a thing.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You guys seem to be missing the fact that he has showed her multiple times how to do it, only to find that she has been trying to do it wrong.

beers

Staff member
I'd have gone with a wireless solution. Associate the iPad to the chromecast or similar, have her just plug it in. Start casting.

My parents are kind of derps when it comes to technology, but you also have to analyze your approach and how you're relaying the information. Being able to relate to non-technical users is a skill of its own that can be refined and improved upon.

WhoX

My wife annoys me the most. I'm not sure if she just wants attention or something, but I've had to show her how to transfer files from her laptop to a thumb drive at least two dozen times. Plus, her work space is a disaster area.

Last edited:

aldan

we all run across this and i just bite my tounge until it bleeds.hey,i am an auto mechanic as well,and if i had a dollar for everytime someone asked for advice and didnt take it i could live comfortably.bottom line,i believe in paying it forward.would give anything for my mom to be around to ignore my advice.lol

strollin

In my travels, I still come across Hotel/Motel TVs that are so old that they don't have HDMI ports. When I started reading the OP's post I thought that might have been the issue.

My parents both passed without ever owning a computer so I never got to experience helping them. However, I've given plenty of help to my sisters, nieces, nephews, kids and friends. Sure, we all have to repeat things over and over but that's just the way it is. Some people just don't get technology. When I was in college, I breezed thru classes in math, history, science, physics, programming, electronics, etc.... The 2 hardest classes for me were in the subjects of art and music as I have no talent for either.

The VCR King

You should go read /r/talesfromtechsupport
I am a Redditor of 3 years and I read this sub multiple times a day. My favorite tale is about this old guy who couldn't get his RAM to go into the slot go he "greased it up" by spraying WD-40 all over the motherboard to hope it would make the RAM slip into the slot. LOL

I used to get annoyed about stuff like this but have found it is not worth it. My father doesn't know a thing about tech but it is obvious he doesn't care. It is a tool he just wants to function. Now I just give him a hard time for fun and correct whatever issue there is. It is much easier than trying to get people on my page. It just doesn't work that way.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I am a Redditor of 3 years and I read this sub multiple times a day. My favorite tale is about this old guy who couldn't get his RAM to go into the slot go he "greased it up" by spraying WD-40 all over the motherboard to hope it would make the RAM slip into the slot. LOL
Back when I worked in PC repair, I had a customer buy a PCI wireless card. He didn't want to pay for us to install it, so he did it himself. For some reason he thought he had to take the back plate off and install the antenna so it was inside the tower. He installed the card backwards and then turned on his computer, which fried it. And then he blamed us for it.

The VCR King

Back when I worked in PC repair, I had a customer buy a PCI wireless card. He didn't want to pay for us to install it, so he did it himself. For some reason he thought he had to take the back plate off and install the antenna so it was inside the tower. He installed the card backwards and then turned on his computer, which fried it. And then he blamed us for it.
LOL

mistersprinkles

That's awesome.

I mean, I'm a jerk at this point in my life, but I don't screw people. I've seen people get screwed. When I was doing an unpaid apprenticeship at a computer repair shop to become a technician I saw a guy come in with a Pentium 4 1.4Ghz machine with 1GB of RAM and get sold a Pentium 4 3Ghz machine with 2GB of RAM for $185. Yes. That's right. $185 for a machine that used 2003 hardware in 2016. The guy asked me if they were screwing him but I couldn't say anything. Freaking bullcrap man.

All kinds of sleazy crap going on over there. Pirated MS office being installed for $200. $200 for something that cost the shop $0 and takes a minute and a half to install on most machines.

They were buying 3 packs of Bitdefender licenses which at the time were going for under $50 and then they were selling the licenses individually for $50 each plus $20 for installation.