Where to go about selling on built computers?

oscarsymonds

Recently built my first computer and am now interested in building them to sell on (for a profit). Only thing I can't figure out is where to sell it on, can someone give me some advice?
Thanks,
Oscar

sup2jzgte

Ebay is about the only site I can think of just short of creating your own place. Honestly I dont know how much profit you can make unless you have whole sale connection for the parts, because the price of PC's have gone down drastically. I mean you can walk into best buy, circuit city, etc and get a really good PC for about a grand and that includes monitor Ect..

Then you have the gamers, techs and what not who refuse to buy pre built pc, but they build their own. So I can't really see alot of profit in this idea. What IS making alot of money right now is PC repair and IT solutions, a buddy of mine owns a PC repair business and makes a killing enough so that it is his primary job. I have watched the Company Layer 8 grow from a backyard IT solutions business to an all out profit monster in just a little over a year

Last edited:
Recently built my first computer and am now interested in building them to sell on (for a profit). Only thing I can't figure out is where to sell it on, can someone give me some advice?
Thanks,
Oscar

It is hard to plz customers that are local, it is a real pain in the arse. I don't mean to discourage but, I tried it and built some demos for ppl. I let someone use a demo for a week, I came back a week later to find a Dell package at their front door. That idea shriveled up and went POOF!! I build privately for businesses now, I have made quiet a name for myself. They know who to call, there is a computer place that charged a biz $150 to install a router to network two computers:rolleyes: I am building 5 computers this summer for a biz and am charging $600 each. I will make about a $500 profit for 3 days of work, this is after labor, too.

kof2000

craigslist. avoid internation buyers, money order and wire transfers. meet in person. bring a friend with you if you are under 18.

tlarkin

VIP Member
its kind of a dead business, unless you plan on doing it on the side for beer money. The only way to really make money off of hardware sales is to sell by the 1000s and there is no way you could compete with Dell, HP/Compaq, Apple, IBM, etc.

Plus, no one is going to pay you a decent amount per an hour to build a custom PC, its honestly not worth your time. Take it from me I have been doing sub contracting work on the side for a few years now. The real money is in support, consulting, and onsite work. I charge a business $100/hour to consult them or do onsite work, and my price goes up if the job gets harder. My most common job is setting up a wireless network, because a lot of businesses are just now adding in wifi in their buildings. So, I bill them $100/hour go out to their site, pop in a few APs, set up the proper security, show them what I did and how to manage the wireless on their client machines, etc. Also, $100/hour is actually cheap, just browse around to see how much other companies charge for that kind of work.

If I build a PC for someone they will like want to pay me $50 bucks total, for the 3 hours it took me to build it, tie down all the wiring, and load the OS and software for them.

Custom building PCs has no market in it at all, so I suggest you look into other ways of making money with computers.

And just so you know when i consult a business I recommend NOT buying custom built computers for one HUGE main reason. Support. thats right, with Dell, HP/Compaq, Apple, IBM, etc they get warranty, and with in that warranty they can get support, and they can even opt to pay a bit more for the onsite warranty which I suggest. Like HP desktop business class machines come standard with a three year warranty. If you custom build a computer and something goes bad under warranty you have to fish out all your receipts and take it back with the reseller you got it from and have them exchange the part, or do a RMA over the internet with the manufacturer, which can be a huge pain in the ass if you have ever had to deal with it. Also, under the warranty they get support from that company, so they won't be calling you every 5 minutes when something goes wrong. Of course you can charge for all that too, if that is what you want. I'd rather them call dell if something breaks and have them send out one of their onsite contracted techs to do warranty work. That is because they will get reimbursement for the warranty claim, where as you won't get jack since you are not a service partner with Dell. Custom built computers really have no use in businesses for that reason alone, and I could list off many others that support my argument as well.

Last edited:
its kind of a dead business, unless you plan on doing it on the side for beer money. The only way to really make money off of hardware sales is to sell by the 1000s and there is no way you could compete with Dell, HP/Compaq, Apple, IBM, etc.

Plus, no one is going to pay you a decent amount per an hour to build a custom PC, its honestly not worth your time. Take it from me I have been doing sub contracting work on the side for a few years now. The real money is in support, consulting, and onsite work. I charge a business $100/hour to consult them or do onsite work, and my price goes up if the job gets harder. My most common job is setting up a wireless network, because a lot of businesses are just now adding in wifi in their buildings. So, I bill them $100/hour go out to their site, pop in a few APs, set up the proper security, show them what I did and how to manage the wireless on their client machines, etc. Also, $100/hour is actually cheap, just browse around to see how much other companies charge for that kind of work.

If I build a PC for someone they will like want to pay me $50 bucks total, for the 3 hours it took me to build it, tie down all the wiring, and load the OS and software for them.

Custom building PCs has no market in it at all, so I suggest you look into other ways of making money with computers.

And just so you know when i consult a business I recommend NOT buying custom built computers for one HUGE main reason. Support. thats right, with Dell, HP/Compaq, Apple, IBM, etc they get warranty, and with in that warranty they can get support, and they can even opt to pay a bit more for the onsite warranty which I suggest. Like HP desktop business class machines come standard with a three year warranty. If you custom build a computer and something goes bad under warranty you have to fish out all your receipts and take it back with the reseller you got it from and have them exchange the part, or do a RMA over the internet with the manufacturer, which can be a huge pain in the ass if you have ever had to deal with it. Also, under the warranty they get support from that company, so they won't be calling you every 5 minutes when something goes wrong. Of course you can charge for all that too, if that is what you want. I'd rather them call dell if something breaks and have them send out one of their onsite contracted techs to do warranty work. That is because they will get reimbursement for the warranty claim, where as you won't get jack since you are not a service partner with Dell. Custom built computers really have no use in businesses for that reason alone, and I could list off many others that support my argument as well.

That is exactly right, ppl will love for you to work on their stuff when you can consult and repair in a hurry.