Which case is better?

Mike11199

So I was thinking of getting a new computer case. I want to get a good one that will serve as a foundation as I upgrade it over time. Which of these do you think would be the better choice?

Cooler Master Cosmos

Antec Nine-Hundred

I think the antec is cheaper, but the cosmos may be more of a luxury case instead of the antec which is a gaming case (correct me if I'm wrong)

I currently have a HP pavilion a1520n, with a new video card. I want to transfer all of its components into the new case, but have no idea if they're compatible.

This is just a side-note and maybe a little bit lazy of me, but now I currently have a mission desk set from staples.

Would a Staple's mission mobile storage unit fit any of these cases?

PC eye

banned
For one the mission desk sets are like letter trays and waste baskets not something that goes inside a pc case. Your thinking about a totally different kind of case like traveling or desk organizing case there.

The Antec 900 is one of the most flexible mid tower cases for setting up different 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" combinations of drives. The full information on that case as well as a short video clip on how drive bays can be swapped around go to http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900

For those planning on multiple water cooling setups they tend to shy away from the 900 to go often with even a full tower case to have room for the reservoirs. The 900 offers the maximum for air cooling with the twin 120mm front intake fans, rear 120, and especially the 200mm top fan. The front fans are seen on two slide out 3drive cages and provide cooling for multiple hard drives.

Mike11199

On the mission mobile storage unit I am talking about this product:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051&productId=168905&cmArea=SEARCH

The product info states that it is meant to fit a CPU. I currently have my tower on one on the desks which I have in an L shaped configuration and it would save a lot of room if
I had it underneath in one of these.

I could always put a tower underneath the desk on the carpet if the tower is too big, but it would be nice to be in this storage unit.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Personally I like the Cosmos better, its like a P180 but fancier. They're both really good at air cooling, but the 900 is a lot cheaper.

PC eye

banned
What it comes down most often is price and preference as long as you see adequate cooling. The 900 can be a little cramped at times for some especially those that oc heavily and want the extra space for cooling setups.

I will say that the 900 is quietier now then the last case used for the old 939 build. But that came out after the AeroCool AeroEngine II for twice as much for the longest time until someone pointed out a good sale this summer.

The Antec P180 is seen here. http://www.antec.com/productImage.php?ProdID=81800&SetZone=en with the product page at http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800#

Dollar

Hi. Does anyone have any idea how does the antec 900 advanced 3 speed fan control works?
Are there any switches at any hidden part of the casing?

Dollar

Any possibility of controoling the speed of the fan on the outside of the case without the use of a third party fan controller?

hpi

banned
Any possibility of controoling the speed of the fan on the outside of the case without the use of a third party fan controller?

Uh I don't think so. I think youd have to get a fan control unit or maybe the mobo not sure.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Oh thanks for the response but I need you to help me dertermine whether does the antec 900 have the problem in the following link as after reading the thread I have a phobia of buying this case.
Thanks in advance.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/607713.html

^ Never had that problem.

Without a third party controller, you have to enter the case to adjust fan speeds. Too lazy to provide pics, but it's pretty simple.

I'm looking at the Cosmos as my full tower purchase. I would recommend a modular PSU when using the 900.

He's a pic of my components w/ the 900 (sorry about the blur):

DSC02671.jpg

You can see (sorta) how things can get cramped inside the case. That's my only beef. It's a really good case, but I can't wait to get a full tower. :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Also just be careful selecting powersupplies for the 900. With the powersupply mounted at the bottom any PSU with 120mm fans will have trouble sucking in air. With the Cosmos its better as there's a bottom exhausts underneath the PSU. However if you REALLY want the 900 and PSU w/ 120mm you can mod the case and cut a hole for youself on the bottom.

PC eye

banned

There are optional fan controllers that mount right into drive bays. Someone was just asking lately if the Ultra 4 fan controller would run 12v fans. That one as well as others run on 5v and provide upto 13v. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...pNo=2559758&SRCCODE=WEBINKPLP&CMP=OTC-INKTOMI

Others like ThermalTake are seen at http://www.xoxide.com/3fanco.html

Also just be careful selecting powersupplies for the 900. With the powersupply mounted at the bottom any PSU with 120mm fans will have trouble sucking in air. With the Cosmos its better as there's a bottom exhausts underneath the PSU. However if you REALLY want the 900 and PSU w/ 120mm you can mod the case and cut a hole for youself on the bottom.

In the Antec 900 you don't face the supply's fan down but upward. I have the OCZ GameXStream 700w model simply installed upside down to allow for it to pull air coming in from the front pair of 120s. simple solution

paratwa

I just finished putting a system together with that Antec 900 case. And while it is loaded with fans, I hated it.

It was one of the hardest cases to work with I have ever used. This is not a tool less case, the hard drive cage was a joke, the way the front covers on the bays where installed was a pain in the butt. The adapter that came with the case to convert a 5.25 bay to a 3.5 is a stupid design. And the documentation that comes with the case is worthless.

This case took me 10 times longer to assemble than any other case I have ever used. They could have made just a few design changes and made this a first rate case.

I am also going to be replacing the fans (except for the 200mm one). I think they are a bit loud at medium settings. And at low settings they do not move enough air.

I bought this case for this system based on everyones recommendations. I would never use one again!

PC eye

banned
Despite the annoyance of the plastic 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" adapter with the micro sized holes you can easily substitute with a $2 metal adapter that is also available the fans are running full speed here and you can hardly hear them. The two 3drive bays are simply held in with thumb screws and make life easier sliding those out for installing, adding, swapping drives out.

The only spot where things are tight is right behind the 5 1/4" drive bays. But I've seen that problem in a numner of cases especially the non gaming styles. If you're not in a big rush everything will go right into place without a hassle. A little patience goes a long way.