Which duel core processor is the Best, AMD or Intel?

smoothjk

If you're building from scratch, Intel is the clear winner. Much faster, overclocks like crazy...

Only downside is that they cost a bit more.

Twist86

Sadly it kills me on the inside to say it but Intel destroying AMD at this point.

I went from a X2 4400+ @ 2.3ghz to a E8500 3.1ghz which is 800mhz faster but it cut my Vista boot time in half and doubled my FPS in Crysis. It seriously makes me glad I didn't get a Q6600 and I have not even overclocked it.

The best part is power on a E8xxx is 65w which a X2 6000+ is 89w and 6400+ I think is 125w....also its 45nm vs AMD which is currently 65nm.

Though AMD is roughly 40-50 bucks cheaper but you do lose performance over Intel. AMD will bring the fight back in Q1-Q2 of 09 (I hope)

Might help if you gave a budget and what parts you needed though.

Last edited:

Mitch?

banned
Sadly it kills me on the inside to say it but Intel destroying AMD at this point.

I went from a X2 4400+ @ 2.3ghz to a E8500 3.1ghz which is 800mhz faster but it cut my Vista boot time in half and doubled my FPS in Crysis. It seriously makes me glad I didn't get a Q6600 and I have not even overclocked it.

The best part is power on a E8xxx is 65w which a X2 6000+ is 89w and 6400+ I think is 125w....also its 45nm vs AMD which is currently 65nm.

Though AMD is roughly 40-50 bucks cheaper but you do lose performance over Intel. AMD will bring the fight back in Q1-Q2 of 09 (I hope)

Might help if you gave a budget and what parts you needed though.

Amen to that...
I miss the good old days of the Athlon XP just killing the Pentium 4s... *sigh*...
I'd definitely go intel, but i'd wait a little bit, this month, and before the end of the year, new cpus will be rotating intot he market, and prices should drop a bit...

smafi2000

Thank you for your response mahnac, the website article really help.
God bless you,

Last edited:

smafi2000

WOW! Thank you “mahnac, smoothjk, Twist86, and Mr. Johanssen” for all your response, it really help me alot.

God bless you all,

Twist86

Amen to that...
I miss the good old days of the Athlon XP just killing the Pentium 4s... *sigh*...
I'd definitely go intel, but i'd wait a little bit, this month, and before the end of the year, new cpus will be rotating intot he market, and prices should drop a bit...

Actually I was looking @ Intel Stocks and the new processors and to me it seems like price won't drop till AMD releases their new line in January.

Since the benchmarks are out for the Nehalems and the fact that with poor quad-core support from programmers and the new X58 chipset it is actually getting slapped by the Q6600+ so I don't see sales drop anytime soon. Since lets face it no point in a quad for gaming yet...only 16 games use 2.5 threads. I mean GTA4 with its lame quad-core requirment needs a X3 2.1ghz = not a real quad-core needed game since a 2.4ghz Intel destroys a X3 so they just added quad to give a general idea for Intel. I bet a 3ghz dual core will be more then enough.

Your looking at 2-3 months of waiting I think.

Last edited:

smafi2000

Thank you Twist86 for the update info and thanks to all who contributed to my question all your information and article really help me on what to choice on my next CPU.

I apology for not give enough information on why I can’t decide which CPU to choose from, here is what I am try to do, within 3 to 6 months I like to build a PC to be able to play most of the current cool games and programs, my PC is 3 years old.

My current CPU/motherboard Spec:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+ 2.41GHz
1GB of Ram

And it starts to become slow and unable to keep up with the current application (games or programs).

I am try to build a PC that is very balance and will be the most for my money and all the feature come with the product is being use by all the application (games or programs). Is nice to have a PC that is the top of the line, but what good if no application (games or programs) is able to use it, so I don’t really care to have a top of the line PC cause most software and drivers don’t support the new hardware or gives me trouble and unstable.

Now that said, what motherboard would you recommend?

Base on all your recommendation I choose:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Dual Core Processor

1st. choose: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1742_3.html, I like it cause of the DDR3 :)
2nd. choose: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1661_2.html, I like it cause it have only 1 PCI Express x16 for the video card, I can’t afford 2 best card :(
3rd. choose: ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1663_2.html, it cost about $100 more then my 2nd choose but it have IDE 133/100/66/33 and Firewire IEEE 1394a

If anyone have any recommendation on what is the best motherboard that will go with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Dual Core Processor

Ps. When choosing a motherboard what is the must important or what is the high light to look for that make a good/best motherboard?

• Features
• Ergonomics
• Compatibility
• Support
• Performance
• Manufacturer
• Chipset
• North Bridge
• Front Side Bus
• Memory Type
• Memory Channels
• Maximum Memory
• IGP
• South Bridge
• Audio
• IDE
• SCSI
• SATA
• RAID
• LAN
• Firewire
• USB
• Expansion Slots
• BIOS

Thank you, peace, and God Bless you all and may He grand all your wishes, Jesus is the way, ;)

Last edited:

laznz1

Intel seem to be the clear fave at the moment for everyone i still like AMD but would rather have intel atm

Twist86

Whats your price range?

I would get a E8400 and overclock it...its not worth the extra 100 bucks for 300mhz. If you don't overclock I would get a E8500...its 80 bucks cheaper but its 3.1ghz. You could do a small OC to 3.3ghz if you wanted too.

Also I wouldn't bother with DDR3 from what I was told price vs performance its not worth it 2x2GB DDR2 1066/800 is cheaper DDR3 will become the new memory when the 45nm quad-cores become "gamer" rigs next year or so.

2x2GB DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

or

2x2GB DDR2 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Also why get a PCI x16 GPU? You should look for a x16 2.0 GPU to get the full support of the new 2.0 slot.
A 4850 is like 160 bucks + 30 mail in rebate = 130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

Also I use this motherboard DDR2 supports up to DDR2 1366+/1066 but can handle DDR2 800 which is what I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Really nice and a buddy of mine OC his E8400 to 4.1ghz on air using this board thus why I got it as well...I plan to get him to OC mine later this week.

Just my personal thoughts will want to see what the gurus think.

Last edited: