which graphics card for gaming?

Okedokey

Really depends on your resolution you intend to play at, your other computer specs and your power supply unit. Without these, the decision is invalid.

salvage-this

Don't get the 470. It is based off the GF 100 core and those are power hungry and give off a lot of heat.

Out of the rest of the 560s, I would go with the one from MSI.

Oompous

Really depends on your resolution you intend to play at, your other computer specs and your power supply unit. Without these, the decision is invalid.

i would love to be able to play on a pretty high resolution and the specs of my computer ARE:
(idk what you need to see so im posting everything)

System Model
Gateway DX4200-UB001A 7B3P081G
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor
2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2048 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board
Board: Gateway RS780 Rev 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 7B3P081G 05/05/2008

Drives
640.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
251.09 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

OHM ARK1AVGL2B SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S ATA Device [Optical drive]

IOI CF/MicroDrive USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
IOI MS/MsPro USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
IOI SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
IOI SM/xD-Picture USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B0 [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCASY0866609, rev 01.03B01, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules
5888 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 623.49 GB 242.48 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 16.64 GB 8.61 GB free

Display
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics [Display adapter]
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n HMEY506865, May 2005)

Okedokey

Ok so your motherboard and other specs are fine. The 17" monitor is small though, so you don't need anything massive unless you are planning on upgrading that. The onboard graphics card memory is important here, so at that resolution 512MB is plenty, however most cards have 1GB these days. You don't need anymore though.

YOu may need a new PSU though. Open up the case and look at the sticker on the power supply unit. Post the model and brand here.

Oompous

Ok so your motherboard and other specs are fine. The 17" monitor is small though, so you don't need anything massive unless you are planning on upgrading that. The onboard graphics card memory is important here, so at that resolution 512MB is plenty, however most cards have 1GB these days. You don't need anymore though.

YOu may need a new PSU though. Open up the case and look at the sticker on the power supply unit. Post the model and brand here.

whoops! forgot to mention i upgraded the psu to a Corsair GS600 and i plan on upgrading to ~22-24 inch LED HDMI

Compequip

From what you posted out of those 4 cards I'd go with the palit. They have good cooling and it's a 2 gb version. You don't need this much memory, but for the same price I'd go this one first, then I'd go with the MSI you stated. I'd consider looking at the ATI cards also, for about the same price you can get a 6950 and possibly make it into a 6970. Just my .02.....

Oompous

From what you posted out of those 4 cards I'd go with the palit. They have good cooling and it's a 2 gb version. You don't need this much memory, but for the same price I'd go this one first, then I'd go with the MSI you stated. I'd consider looking at the ATI cards also, for about the same price you can get a 6950 and possibly make it into a 6970. Just my .02.....

I haven't had good luck with my experience with ATI and gaming for some reason. Most people I know that game swear by Nvidia

Compequip

I haven't had good luck with my experience with ATI and gaming for some reason. Most people I know that game swear by Nvidia

Because Nvidia is very popular and from what I've been told for years, they have better update support. With that said I have to ATI cards in my builds without a single issue. It's like a guy driving a Chevy Vs. a Ford. Some swear by Chevy's and if you hang around them, you'll probably buy a Chevy. If you hang around guys that like and drive Ford, you'll probably buy a Ford. What I'm saying is try and be opened to everything and look at ppl's personnal experiences with a product, it might say you some cash and even perform better. GL on your search.....

wolfeking

banned
You do know that has more to do with the manufacture than the chipset put out by AMD or Nvidia. I'm currently running a GTX 260, and its good at 1920*1080, but I hear that HD6900's are good. I know my lappys HD4250 generate circles around the Frame rate of the only game I have tried on the desktop so far (been focusing on OC, and its an epic fail).
Just like the guy talking about fords and chevys. Same here, final choice comes down to your preference. I myself wouldnt be caught dead in a Chevy (or with a Nvidia card by choice.)

Miniamba

Hi!

I say go for the Palit gtx560 2gb.

OT:

As far as ATi vs nVidia go...I've always been a fan of nVidia, but thats only because judging by what I've heard and witnessed ATI's drivers and support aren't as good as they could be. I'm a really comfortable and lazy person, so I expect everything to work perfectly when I want it to.

Miniamba.

Russ88765

The evga gtx470 gets my vote. If you clock it the same as the 560 it's better. Evga has the best warranty on nvidia's side also. The msi one would stay cooler due to it's twinfrozr cooling solution they use, and it comes with afterburner(not a dealbreaker but cool).