Which graphics card should I get?

AIV

So, I have two (maybe three) options:
ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II, MSI GTX 770 Gaming or maybe MSI GTX 770 Lightning Edition (supplier still has to email me if it's available).
Since I'm upgrading from nVidia 8600GT, which is pretty damn old now, I think those three would be a great upgrade. I know most of you would say to get one of these GTX 770, but as I've already said, performance upgrade will be huge for me, and I won't notice much difference between GTX 670 and 770. And If you would still recommend me the GTX 770, which one should I get, Gaming or Lightning? Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The lightning is just an overclocked version by 90mhz or so. For 50 bucks I don't think its worth it.

Just make sure you have a power supply that will push this card. Make sure you have at least a 650 watt corsair or similar unit.

AIV

PSU is Corsair HX 750, so no worries there :D Does Lightning version have better potential for overclocking?

salvage-this

Both will be able to OC. The lightening edition is more likely to OC further but not hundreds of MHz further.

AIV

OK, I just got an answer from my supplier telling me that they can only get MSI GTX 760 Gaming Edition and 770 Gaming Edition, and ASUS GTX 670 DCII. What I would like to get is GTX 760 or 670, which one would you recommend? GTX 670 is a bit faster, but GTX 760 has a GPU Boost 2.0 and can overclock too, which would maybe be better than buying GTX 670. Please advise me :D

AIV

TechPowerUp even says GTX 760 can get faster than GTX 680 when overclocked: While AMD's HD 7950 comes with 3 GB of VRAM, the GTX 760 "only" uses 2 GB, which is plenty considering both cards are just too slow to play any game at resolutions that require more than 2 GB of VRAM. Overclocking works well and provides an easily accessible performance boost of around 18%, making the card faster than the GTX 680 and HD 7970 GHz Edition. Pretty nice for a $260 card.
I would be really satisfied if it can get to the same performance as GTX 670, but if I can overclock it to perform faster than GTX 670, then I will buy it definitely... :D

AIV

In the end, I bought MSI GTX 670 PE :D Hope it'll serve me well through at least 5 years (I'm not a hardcore gamer at all, I play games like CS:GO, LOL, Dota 2, etc... and I do modelling and rendering...).