Which heatsink for Ultra Microfly?

baballin328

I recently did a major upgrade to my comp. I went from a 3200, Gigabyte Ga-K8NSC-939, Antec Sonata, and 6200 --> Opty 165, Biostar Tforce 6100, Ultra Microfly, and a 7900GS. I already oc'ed my 165 to 2.8GHZ, but the temps are too high for my liking (45C idle!!)! I would like to know what heatsink I could get for my Microfly.
Untitled.jpg
As you can see there is a bar blocking, but I can dremel that off. I've thought about a AC Freezer 64 Pro, but from other's systems I saw, the powersupply was literally rite on top of it. So what are some good, quiet heatsinks you guys recommend?

PC eye

banned
The main cpu coolers besides models by ThermalTake often discussed around here are the Zalman and Artic Cooling models. The Zalman CNPS9500 has three different styles along with a higher price tag. The first of the two available at coolerguys.com is the silver colored model with a blue led light seen at http://www.coolerguys.com/840556028741.html

The second is a copper colored model the Ultra Quiet CNPS9500 that has been successful here for the last 6-7 months seen at http://www.coolerguys.com/840556025061.html

And of course the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro was looked here prior to seeing the Zalman model. You can look this one over at http://www.coolerguys.com/840556058274.html

Newegg has a few more Zalman CNPS9500 along with the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro at http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=62 One brand to avoid is Scythe. When the fan on one model
by them quit without warning it cost a cpu and board in the last build here. But these are the top models that do stand up higher then others.

PC eye

banned
Once I got the current setup out of the old case with poor air flow and kept the Zalman on still the temps on everything went way down. When oced for short periods the cpu temps at first in the old case climbed into the 50Cs. :eek: That was too hot for comfort there. Putting the new case together saw a good oc drop to roughly 42C and 38C after a long day at stock between running multimedia, video captures, or some gaming. Nice! :D

baballin328

Those heatsinks that you recommended are too big...others have recommended the Blue Orb II, Swiftech MCX-64V, Zalman CNPS8000, and an XP90C. I've also looked at water cooling and I found that people like the Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120 and the Thermaltake Silent Water. Would one of those beat the heatsinks listed above?

Jet

VIP Member
Those heatsinks that you recommended are too big...others have recommended the Blue Orb II, Swiftech MCX-64V, Zalman CNPS8000, and an XP90C. I've also looked at water cooling and I found that people like the Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120 and the Thermaltake Silent Water. Would one of those beat the heatsinks listed above?

You've measured and checked that the Arctic Cooling 64 is too big? That's a great cooler. What is your price range?

baballin328

No someone who had the same case and mobo as me had it and it was just too close (it barely made it pass the ps). I'd like to spend ~$50 or less. I read that the Cooler Master Aquagate and the Thermaltake Silent Water are better than the AC Freezer 64 Pro, the Big Typhoon, and CNPS9500. Is this true?

Jet

VIP Member
Cheap watercooling systems are a liability..it is better sticking with a high quality air cooler.

Jet

VIP Member
One of the Zalman 7000 series might be something to look into, since they aren't as big as the aforementioned coolers, yet they have better cooling then other similar coolers.

Motoxrdude

Nah, it's easy. Just apply a drop of thermal compound, place the heatsink on and latch it into place. The first time you might mess up by moving the heatsink around a lot before you latch it, but once you get the basic concept of it, it is easy.

Jet

VIP Member
Oh, it's only 92mm fans?? Or can you go with 120? Cuz I have a Antec 120 from my Sonata

I believe it is made for 92mm fans. It is best to use 92mm fans, because 120mm wouldn't cool all of the heatsink, but would cool other things...Though you could get a 120mm-92mm adapter, though you probably would really have height issues then..

baballin328

Argh I'm so confused! I don't know what to get! I'm still kind of tempted to get one of the water cooling kits! All of the reviews I've read for them state that they're better than air. What to get....?!?!?!?!