Which HSF??? Cant decide...

joeswm8

Which one of these:

Tuniq Tower 120
Scythe Infinity
Thermalright Ultra 120

They are all similar and would give me almost identical options, but i cant decide.

PC eye

banned
STAY AWAY FROM SCYTHE! PERIOD! That's what cost the cpu on the last build here. Those are the cheapest pieces of whatever sold! The best one there is the Turniq Tower. If you to look over some additional cpu coolers "far better" than any cheapo Scythe puts on their coolders look at some Artic Cooling and Zalman models seen at http://www.coolerguys.com/atso9401.html

Remember to ignore the Scythe crap for a look over of the Zalman CNPS9500 or Artic Cooling Freezer64 Pro models. Those are the top models seen there.

liquidshadow

STAY AWAY FROM SCYTHE! PERIOD! That's what cost the cpu on the last build here. Those are the cheapest pieces of whatever sold! The best one there is the Turniq Tower. If you to look over some additional cpu coolers "far better" than any cheapo Scythe puts on their coolders look at some Artic Cooling and Zalman models seen at http://www.coolerguys.com/atso9401.html

Remember to ignore the Scythe crap for a look over of the Zalman CNPS9500 or Artic Cooling Freezer64 Pro models. Those are the top models seen there.

Alright, that's very biased. Have you actually personally used a Scythe HSF before? They are considered high end cooling solutions. The Scythe Infinity modded has been known to be equal in cooling performance to the Tuniq Tower. The Arctic Cooling Freezers are more for budget limited solutions. There are better solutions from Zalman, Sunbeam, Thermaltake, and yes, Scythe.

PS. How did a Scythe ruin a build? I don't get how any HSF could ruin a build unless the builder mounted it incorrectly or something like that.

joeswm8

yeah but if i stick a Delta 190CFMer on the thermalright i think it might be better

i am not sure though, but i can put any fan on the thermalright and it is smaller, and i have read some good reviews.

i really like the tuniq though but i am stuck.

i am going to invent my own cooler with coolant, copper base, and heat dissapation over the summer. i am in chemistry and will have a good knowledge base to help me this summer. i can even invent a simple phase change cooler somehow. that is my ultimate goal

PC eye

banned
A copper based cooler will see a much transfer of heat then you would see with a nickel base for sure. Scythe uses cheap fans on their coolers. Without any dust or debris found when looking why cpu temps shot through the roof one day the fan on the Scythe was... simply put D.. O.. A..! It was a very short lived cpu cooler like a few months. The current Zalman model used here has been far more busy since last spring lasting 11 months continuous already without a glitch. nice and quiet too.

Grimulus

hey grimulus, what temps do you get with that e6600 OCed?

I hit my CPU limit at 3.55ghz but I was staying around 45-48c under load after 8 hours running orthos.

I bought a 120 x 38 Silenx rated at 60cfm to go on it. It works quite well and helps keep the air flowing.

joeswm8

I think ill stick with the Thermalright Ultra 120 because grimulus has excellent temps at 3.55 on full load. Not to mention the futuristic looks.

joeswm8

lol yeah, i mean zalmanns are great i totally agree with you, i just like the thermalright ultra IMO. they are all top, its just personal choice

liquidshadow

yeah but if i stick a Delta 190CFMer on the thermalright i think it might be better

i am not sure though, but i can put any fan on the thermalright and it is smaller, and i have read some good reviews.

i really like the tuniq though but i am stuck.

i am going to invent my own cooler with coolant, copper base, and heat dissapation over the summer. i am in chemistry and will have a good knowledge base to help me this summer. i can even invent a simple phase change cooler somehow. that is my ultimate goal

You could stickthe Delta on a Tuniq ;)

PC eye

banned
-=[DeEP]Inferno=-;592054 said:
Yea, overall its just personal preference.

It's always personal preference. I was first looking at the Artic Cooling Freezer64 Pro until a friend ordered the Zalman CNPS 9500 and later decided on something else. I reinbursed him for the sale he paid out. It's been the winning ticket since last spring. :D