Which is better for cooling?

SDMorris

Hello everyone. Last night I purchased a EVGA GeForce 9800GTX Superclocked and a Thermaltake 500w PSU for my HP m8000. I need to know this, since my case is pretty small and it will already be a tight fit with the new card, would it be wiser for me to buy several new fans for it, or buy a new case? Could someone please select a good case that would work with all my stuff? These are the only two aftermarket things that will be in the computer. Preferably in the $50 or less price range.

SDMorris

Hey guys-- Those both look like great cases, but I ended up purchasing this. What do you think?

One minute..

Quick69GTO

It'll work. HPs are usually standard ATX but the HP power supply might be too small.
The 80mm fans might be a tad loud and I think it looks a little busy for my taste.

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and your eye differs from mine apparently:p It's all good though - different things for different folks. If the case keeps things cool and you like it, it's all good at the end of the day:)

As for the MoBo, yes it will fit. Good point with the ATX PSU though... Some Big-Brand systems need a BTX-style PSU; some are ATX. Depending on how new your system is, the ATX you picked out should be fine, but if things don't fit, you'll need to RMA and grab a BTX.

Quick69GTO

Did a quick Google search for the HP M8000. It looks like a standard ATX format.
The best way to tell is to pull the side cover and look to see if the processor is towards the front of the tower (usually covered by a duct from the front of the case) or if it's positioned towards the back of the case (usually ducted to the rear).
If it's towards the back, then it's standard ATX.
Also look to make sure there is a fan on top of the CPU heatsink. If it's ducted to a rear panel fan, then that might be a problem.
All of the front panel hardware looks proprietary to the HP case. It may prove difficult to transfer it all to an aftermarket case.
You know, it might be prudent to try the 9800 in the HP case first.

Just my thoughts.

SDMorris

I looked, and the motherboard is nearly touching the rear wall of the case. And there is a fan on the big heatsink that is smack dab in the middle of the motherboard. When you say all the front panel hardware looks proprietary to the HP case, what do you mean?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Here is my motherboard specifications.. can someone please help me out and tell me if it will fit?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...29&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377257&lang=en

It's a Micro ATX Board, so the PSU you purchased will work fine:)

i know this has nothing to do with cooling but i would just buy a new motherboard while your taking apart everything anyways

He'd have to reactivate the OS and play with Drivers. For everyday use, the MoBo he has will be fine.

Quick69GTO

Sorry, I've been gone a while.
Proprietary means specific to the HP case. What I am implying is that the front panel inputs (USB,etc.) is not standard ATX and may not transfer to another case without modifications.
The same goes for the optical drives but the case you bought has a door so it should hide the differences.
The motherboard is standard micro ATX so it should fit fine although the I/O panel cover may not transfer from the HP case to the new case.
Everything else should transfer just fine.

Good luck!

colt1911

I'd stay away from the Sunbeam case , I had one and it is very flimsy and I had several pieces brake on the front bezel due to having to remove it to install your dvd roms and burners. Just my opinion though.