Which Is Better!

eatbutt

(939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio
OR
(939-pin Socket) ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 MAINBOARD WITH LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
___
ATI RADEON X700 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
OR
ATI RADEON 9600 XT 256MB DDR AGP 8X W/ TV-OUT & DVI

Daveb2012

(this board has more features though) (939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio

(Abit is a much better company) (939-pin Socket) ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 MAINBOARD WITH LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
___
pci-e always over agp, buying agp now is like buying a portable cd player instead of a mp3 player.. its old technology pci-e bus is much better.

i would get a rosewill X800XL pci-e if i were you though. it has 16 pipelines and is under 300.00.

Lax

VIP Member
(this board has more features though) (939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio

(Abit is a much better company) (939-pin Socket) ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800 MAINBOARD WITH LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
___
pci-e always over agp, buying agp now is like buying a portable cd player instead of a mp3 player.. its old technology pci-e bus is much better.

i would get a rosewill X800XL pci-e if i were you though. it has 16 pipelines and is under 300.00.

1. MSI and Abit are both fine companies.
2. AGP is not dead but it is on its way out. If you wanna buy an AGP board, simply buy an AGP card, the ammount of preformance change won't be noticed by any game player.

Daveb2012

Lord AnthraX said:
1. MSI and Abit are both fine companies.
2. AGP is not dead but it is on its way out. If you wanna buy an AGP board, simply buy an AGP card, the ammount of preformance change won't be noticed by any game player.

but why waste your time with old technolgy thats dying? pci-e 16x is almost same price as agp 8x cards so why waste $ on bus that peforms worse

eatbutt

alright so now its looking more like a NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
and a (939-pin Socket) Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 Chipset MB w/ LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
any input on these compaired to the original? or just on thesE?

apj101

VIP Member
whats the rest of the specs, good graphics cards are hindered if you dont have memory bandwidth. What are pairing this mobo and graphics card with?

Lax

VIP Member
but why waste your time with old technolgy thats dying? pci-e 16x is almost same price as agp 8x cards so why waste $ on bus that peforms worse

I've got a 9800 Pro that performs fine while playing ut2004. If I was to upgrade to a new mobo and a new gfx card it would cost more than if I just bought an x800 AGP edition. For playing games any 128 or 256Mb card will suffice, a normal computer user (or even gamer) won't notice the difference in a jump from 80FPS-100FPS. And you're right, why should I waste money on something that if I wait a few months will be obsolete again. 512Mb cards just came out for consumer use and in a few months prices will drop on boards and cards, so In after thought it'd be better for him to wait about a month (unless extremely urgent) to buy his mobo and GFx card.

eatbutt

apj101 said:
whats the rest of the specs, good graphics cards are hindered if you dont have memory bandwidth. What are pairing this mobo and graphics card with?
goinna have
-1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
-Seagate 80GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cach
-(939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology

also about the HD, is there a speed difference between a 160 and an 80? cuz i think someone told me that before, cuz ive only got a 40GB now and only used half
ty for helping

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
(abit is a much better company)
not for K8 boards.

but why waste your time with old technolgy thats dying?
because the only new thing from PCIe really is sli and since that's not being considered here there's not difference for equal cards... well... since AGP8x isnt even being stressed at this point...

PCI-e 16x is almost same price as AGP 8x cards so why waste $ on BUS that peforms worse
because the BUS doesnt perform worse

also about the hd, is there a speed difference between a 160 and an 80?
depends on the rest of the drive. read the HDD 101.

eatbutt

thanks for all the help everyone, looks like imma get the nvinda GT and maybe asus Motherboard
thanks for help on both my posts proceed they were great help
now all i need is a monitor

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
maybe asus Motherboard
Unless you're gettin an A8N series board (which i wouldnt advise but better than their A8V boards) then I'd avoid ASUS for the K8 platform as well