Which is the better cpu ?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The 555 is a good overclocker. The 540 simply has a slightly higher clock speed. So in the end it comes down to the main question: Do you want to run Intel or AMD?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
If they're the same price, I would go for the i3. The Phenom is only a dual-core, and is more of an overclocking chip so you pay for the unlocked multiplier too, not just performance.

Of course, if you like tinkering with hardware the Phenom might actually be better since it's got the unlocked multi and also apparently some of can be unlocked to quad-cores, but it's a bit of a gamble. As they are, at stock speeds, the Intel chip would win.

Thenagain, games aren't only CPU bound, it's only one component... I would look at the overall system before deciding.

jonnyp11

with a good mobo with unlocking, the 555be CAN become a quad core and is listed as the b55 i think, which should be better than that i3. i'v been looking at it too.

2048Megabytes

ktec

I say take a gamble with the 555BE and possibly get a quad core. I did and I won :D 4cores at 3.4ghz w/o any overclocking.