Which laptop is better?

Which one is more worth getting?

• Dell

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Acer

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

eburgess

Hey guys my name is eric and I am just trying to get back into computers. I haven't built a pc for maybe 2-3 years and I feel I have yet again lost touch with what is good now a days. Basically I have googled a lot and tried like 3-4 websites for computers and I think I have come to a point to two lap tops I think would be fine for me.

Both I can get on amazon:
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10) for 550 plus tax.

Now I am not a acer fan but this computer has a lot of reviews and averages 4 stars on amazon so I figure its not too shabby. It has a bit of a slower graphics card with only ddr4 2 gb memory but it has the 256 ssd. The other draw back is its only a i5 which only has 2 cores 4 threads if my research is right. I think this price is decent for what it offers but I also have this dell I think I really like.

Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M for 800 + tax

It has a better graphics card and seems to have a much faster cpu and offers 4 gb of ddr5 dedicated memory. The i7 offers 4 cores 8 threads but I don't know if I like the 8gb + 1 tb hdd combo. I am not sure how that really works but I could always just upgrade. This laptop is 250 dollars more but is it worth the 250? I want to obviously maybe invest more to be more up to date so the laptop would 'last' longer as far as computer upgrades go.

Please tell me what you guys think. I really am tired of having my desktop as it is really not accomidating anymore.
Thanks in advance
Eric

lucasbytegenius

If you're really looking for portability and battery life, I'd go with the Acer. I bought an E5-575-33BM and was surprised at how good the build quality was for an Acer, they've really stepped up their game in the last few years. Mine has an i3 with 2 cores / 4 threads and it is fast enough for web browsing and other small tasks.

The Dell is faster, no doubt about it. It has a hybrid SSDHD which basically just has an 8GB SSD cache that frequently-used programs get cached on for speed and everything else is stored on the HD. Straight SSDs are faster, but SSDHDs are a good compromise between price, storage, and performance.

eburgess

I mean I am very much into Coiunter strike GO. Right now I am like 10-15 hours a week kind of guy. I might increase that amount of time if I get a laptop where I can play anywhere. I am kind of limited to using amazon as I want to use my amazon credit card. I am not broke or anything haha I just wanna build my credit. I will definitely be playing games on the laptop, besides other things.

EDIT:
I messed up on my research. I thought the Geforce 940MX was only GDDR4 memory not 5. This is definitely swaying more towards the Acer now.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
The 940 is pretty slow comparatively.

What specific i7 is in the Dell? If it's the HQ model then I'd take that over the Acer

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The Acer I5 is a dual core cpu with 4 threads. The Dell is an actual quad core cpu with 8 threads so definitely would go with the Dell.

Computerage

I would personally go for the Dell, as Dell Inspirons are generally more reliable than Acer laptops. Plus, the Dell is more powerful overall.

Laquer Head

If I had to pick only between these 2, I'd also say the DELL, but that being said - I wouldn't buy either. They both have trade offs to compensate for the good things and each annoy me for their own reasons.

I'd keep looking and not just settle on whatever Amazon is hustling..

Geoff

VIP Member
I have the Acer E5-575G, except mine has the GTX 950M. Performance wise it's great, but the laptop itself is trash. Extremely flimsy, poor build quality, the screen is worse than any other laptop I've ever used, and battery life is mediocre. I only got it because I got a fantastic deal on it on Black Friday.

adrianuswibowo

Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 is better because you just playing CS GO and Nvidia 940mx Still can run Game Tripple A in middle setting and enough to run every software editing and progamming if planning use this laptop for workstation and little bit to play game i suggest you to choose Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 because Intel Core i5 and Core i7 in laptop series doesn't have many different perfomance in benchmark and SSD 256 GB Can help you proccess your file 5x more quickly than using HDD conventional, and 8gb DDR4 OF RAM Enough to run all software for now until 5 years. Acer have Better with price to perfomance, hope you got help from my opinion