which linux to download

robina_80

hi guys,

long time no speak,

i was just wondering what linux to download and use ie the one which comes with the most ditrrubution packages so it doesnt ask me to download them or find them when i try to install a certain program

the main reason i want to download linux is to mess about with it running windows on wine

mihir

VIP Member
What?, you cannot run Windows on Wine. Wine is to run executable files based on windows platform. You would need to run a virtual machine with windows.
If this is the first time you will be using linux then I recommend a debian based distro.
I would recommend Ubuntu 10.04.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I use Ubuntu myself, and rarely is there a tool I need that can't be found in the software store.

What mihir is saying is that WINE emulates a Windows environment, it isn't a platform for running Win on Linux. If there are Windows programs you want to run in Linux, then Wine might be the way to get it done, though it isn't perfect.

If you want to run Windows from within Linux, then you will have to use a virtual machine software like Virtual Box.

ayan

Definitely ubuntu. It's very customizable, and it moves very fast. I also think that it's the best documented linux-based systems. If i hadn't been using microsoft tools to program, i'd be using ubuntu all day! . The workspace makes you more productive, and the terminal is Godlike!

wolfeking

banned
I too would suggest Mint 12. Ubuntu 10 only has less than a month left, and 11 and up are just horrid as far as usefulness and customization is concerned.

Linux Mint defiantly. Ubuntu has gone down hill. Maybe for a new Linux user it would be fine, but not for me. Maybe it's because it was very slow for me compared to Ubuntu 10 on a 512 MB ram lappy, maybe.

mihir

VIP Member
I too would suggest Mint 12. Ubuntu 10 only has less than a month left, and 11 and up are just horrid as far as usefulness and customization is concerned.

LTS

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Unity is definitely different, and not for everybody (and customization does lack a bit), however, the fallback console or Gnome 3 are also available for use in Ubuntu.

Then again, there are the variants-- Lubuntu, for instance is lighter on the machine and the LXDE windows manager resembles Win2K, as I recall.

Kesava

I would also recommend Linux Mint 12. It is based on Ubuntu, but it is far more user friendly and better set up by default. Ubuntu's philosophy and patent issues are annoying and do not allow them to provide the best default apps or software out of the box. Flash being a good example.

Mint is not limited to this and is much better out of the box. It is definitely easier for beginners.

People mention that Ubuntu has a bigger base for support. However I have rarely had issues with Mint, while I was always on the Ubuntu forum trying to sort out issues...

wolfeking

banned
People mention that Ubuntu has a bigger base for support. However I have rarely had issues with Mint, while I was always on the Ubuntu forum trying to sort out issues...

I would think that ubuntu forums would help with Mint also. Either way I do not see a need for it as I have never had an issue either.

salvage-this

I just installed Linux Mink 12 and I found it to be really buggy. Not crashes of anything major like that but just small hang ups that got annoying after it happened a few times. I tried to get dual monitors working and I got a white screen where my menus were and just the wallpaper on the other. I got it working in the MATE version but it still seems slow. I think I will give Xubuntu a try when they come out with the next LTS.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I've always loved the software that Fedora comes with. The selection of software on the installation DVD is some of the best I've ever come across. Be warned, though, Fedora is a bit more "advanced"-ish than Ubuntu/Mint and getting proprietary stuff (Flash, mp3 decodecs and the likes) installed can be a bit frustrating for a newcomer.

mihir

VIP Member
I've always loved the software that Fedora comes with. The selection of software on the installation DVD is some of the best I've ever come across. Be warned, though, Fedora is a bit more "advanced"-ish than Ubuntu/Mint and getting proprietary stuff (Flash, mp3 decodecs and the likes) installed can be a bit frustrating for a newcomer.

Fedora is awesome. But starting of from a RPM based linux is a little difficult. The best part about Fedora are the communities.
Also you can always get the remastered version of Ubuntu, linked in this thread, has plenty of software which come in handy.

I just installed Linux Mink 12 and I found it to be really buggy. Not crashes of anything major like that but just small hang ups that got annoying after it happened a few times. I tried to get dual monitors working and I got a white screen where my menus were and just the wallpaper on the other. I got it working in the MATE version but it still seems slow. I think I will give Xubuntu a try when they come out with the next LTS.

Even I found Linux Mint 12 very buggy. I haven't tried 11 so for now Linux Mint is not one of the Distros I would recommend. And if you want Xubuntu, just install Ubuntu 10.04 and do a
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Fedora is awesome. But starting of from a RPM based linux is a little difficult. The best part about Fedora are the communities.
Also you can always get the remastered version of Ubuntu, linked in this thread, has plenty of software which come in handy.

Even I found Linux Mint 12 very buggy. I haven't tried 11 so for now Linux Mint is not one of the Distros I would recommend. And if you want Xubuntu, just install Ubuntu 10.04 and do a
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Haha. You are bent on that remastered version. What is so remastered about it?

Kesava

Haha. You are bent on that remastered version. What is so remastered about it?

You'd almost think he gets a commission for it or something...

In case anyone missed the 1200 posts in this thread advertising Mihir's remastered Ubuntu 10.04 that can be downloaded from his school's server, please read the following:

MIHIR HAS A REMASTERED VERSION OF UBUNTU 10.04 THAT CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM HIS SCHOOL'S SERVER

Some testimonials:

Linus Torvalds said:
Mihir's 10.04 remastered is really good and has lots of features and also is based on Ubuntu which is my favourite distro. It can also be downloaded from Mihir's school's server.

Richard Stallman said:
I have been using Mihir's Ubuntu 10.04 Remastered since like 1985 when I was working on GNU, it's the super best operating system ever and can be downloaded from Mihir's school's server