Which liquid is good and efficient for Cooling?

MrDeath

I know tap water isn't good. I am thinking of deionized water, but is there something better. Can I just use liquid nitrogen. Or is there something better?

xxartanisxx

I dont know if theres anything better than water but liquid nitrogen wont work. It will most likely blow open a seal or something as it heats up and expands. Unless your room is colder than liquid nitrogen then it might work.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It depends on your specific application. For liquid-cooling a computer, distilled water with computer-specific cooling additives would work just fine.

I recall that several years ago Tom's Hardware did an oil-cooled machine where the entire motherboard was immersed in (I think) vegetable oil, though they had to seal off certain parts of the board and it wasn't a long-term project, so no telling how long it lasted.

If you are cooling a nuclear reactor, then liquid sodium is a good (though hazardous) way to go. Certain military-grade electronics systems are cooled with low-viscosity oils.

Aastii

VIP Member
Distilled water, but NOT with colours in, fastest way to go and stain components and potentially cause erosion.

No you won't be able to use liquid gasses, how are you supposed to keep them cold enough using just a rad and fans? The coldest you can get is ambient temperature.

And the oil cooling dngr mentioned isn't water cooling, it is liquid immersion cooling. Put it in a non-conductive liquid and the heat will be taken away. Everything safe in it, but you can't submerge the hard drive or optical drives. The optical drive, the laser would be defracted and so wouldn't work and the oil would fill the gaps on the disc, the hard drive, the spindle wouldn't float because it wouldn't have the air to do so

Yeti

VIP Member
Is there something better? Sure - a closed cycle Linde-Hampson cooler providing liquid nitrogen, a cascade chiller pumping MultiTherm ULT-170, an electromagnetically pumped loop of Galinstan, or one of the various types of heat pipes. On a cost basis, though, water is an excellent heat transfer fluid if corrosion, scaling, and microbes are accounted for with additives.

ktec

Distilled water, contains NO minerals, basically PURE water so there will be no buildup of anything. Its what you have to use in a car's radiator (cooling system for cars). Using regular water will cause problems.

Dont know if this is ok for computer usage, but look into using Redline Water Wetter too.
For sure Distilled water though