Which MacBook Should I Buy?

R3dFr0st

I have no idea which MacBook to buy please tell me one and give reasons. Any help will be Appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Frost

spynoodle

Your best choice would really be to buy neither. You can get a much faster PC laptop for the same price as a Macbook or a Macbook Pro, and the newest version of Windows - Windows 7 - is just as simple and sleek as Mac OSX. Also, Windows supports a lot more programs than Mac. There are a lot of laptops nowadays that can also easily rival the design of the Macbook. If you get a good brand such as Sony, Asus, or one of Dell's XPS laptops, you really can't go wrong. ;)

jonnyp11

just look, windows is normally ~75% the price for the exact same machine other than the name, and the nice sleek metal case which is pretty dang cool

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Your best choice would really be to buy neither. You can get a much faster PC laptop for the same price as a Macbook or a Macbook Pro, and the newest version of Windows - Windows 7 - is just as simple and sleek as Mac OSX. Also, Windows supports a lot more programs than Mac. There are a lot of laptops nowadays that can also easily rival the design of the Macbook. If you get a good brand such as Sony, Asus, or one of Dell's XPS laptops, you really can't go wrong. ;)

OP is asking for advice on which Macbook to buy, not your opinions on whether or not he should buy a Windows based laptop. Whenever a thread like this pops up, it turns into a PC/Windows fanboy flamefest and I'd prefer that didn't happen here. Just sayin. :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd personally go with the 13" MacBook Pro. They're small, light, powerful, and durable. Even better if you wait a few weeks, you'll be able to get OSX Lion.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I think the real question to ask is how deep is your pocket? I don't consider the Mac book Pro to start becoming worthy until $1500 and even then for the price I would go PC.

Tell us what you want to do with it, what is your budget and we will assist from there even though it pains me to give you these prices with such lower end hardware for the price.

NyxCharon

Tell us what you want to do with it, what is your budget and we will assist from there even though it pains me to give you these prices with such lower end hardware for the price.

That's the main question at this point, second is budget. Can't really make any suggestions without knowing those two things.

jonnyp11

love how dmgrier has to say he'd go pc when his pick is "i'm a pc (so go f urself if you want me to suggest a mac)"

R3dFr0st

Iv been saving up for a while and i have $2000 and i also have a job so itll keep going up until i buy in the fall cause im waiting for lion i just dont know which model is worth its money :S

paulcheung

Iv been saving up for a while and i have $2000 and i also have a job so itll keep going up until i buy in the fall cause im waiting for lion i just dont know which model is worth its money :S

Mac book don't have bargain price, buy the highies price you can afford. None of them worth the price apple charge for in my opinon.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Just for the record, no reason to wait for Lion. If you buy this year's model of the Macs, Apple will let you upgrade for free. And I have to disagree with everyone about the comparison to windows. Apple's prices are actually reasonable for what they give you. Especially considering (besides maybe Asus) they probably have the only worth while tech support of any company. If I wasn't so big on games I would have jumped all over a mac.

My suggestion is the 15" 2.0ghz model. Beasty machine.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Just for the record, no reason to wait for Lion. If you buy this year's model of the Macs, Apple will let you upgrade for free. And I have to disagree with everyone about the comparison to windows. Apple's prices are actually reasonable for what they give you. Especially considering (besides maybe Asus) they probably have the only worth while tech support of any company. If I wasn't so big on games I would have jumped all over a mac.

My suggestion is the 15" 2.0ghz model. Beasty machine.

So what does Apple have? Nothing great really, Tech support yes, but I have had good experiences with Asus, Sony and even the Dell products I have owned. Hardware is made by the same companies as a pc manufactures, only difference is the IPS screen, but I have bluray to use the HDMI with my 42" tv, from my understanding Apple products video out put is 720p. Plus have Zune with 1080p vidoes that my xbox plays in full HD.

So help me out here.

speedyink

VIP Member
So what does Apple have? Nothing great really, Tech support yes, but I have had good experiences with Asus, Sony and even the Dell products I have owned. Hardware is made by the same companies as a pc manufactures, only difference is the IPS screen, but I have bluray to use the HDMI with my 42" tv, from my understanding Apple products video out put is 720p. Plus have Zune with 1080p vidoes that my xbox plays in full HD.

So help me out here.

Mac laptops don't have ips screens, just the iMacs. Also, Any mac computer can output pretty much whatever resolution your screen is capable of, but you need a stupid ass lame have to carry around with you and one more thing to f**k up adapter dongle. It's Apple TV or iTV or whatever they call it that's 720p, and i think iphone and ipad and all that jizz are all 720p max too.

Last edited:

spynoodle

So what does Apple have? Nothing great really, Tech support yes, but I have had good experiences with Asus, Sony and even the Dell products I have owned.
Exactly. :cool:
OP is asking for advice on which Macbook to buy, not your opinions on whether or not he should buy a Windows based laptop. Whenever a thread like this pops up, it turns into a PC/Windows fanboy flamefest and I'd prefer that didn't happen here. Just sayin. :)
I see what you mean, but still.... :rolleyes:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Mac laptops don't have ips screens, just the iMacs. Also, Any mac computer can output pretty much whatever resolution your screen is capable of, but you need a stupid ass lame have to carry around with you and one more thing to f**k up adapter dongle. It's Apple TV or iTV or whatever they call it that's 720p, and i think iphone and ipad and all that jizz are all 720p max too.

Well in previous debates they have said the mac books have ips screens so I am going to say they do considering the source was tlarkin.

Further more cause of the out put cable it uses the Max resolution is 720p to the TV.
Plus how will you get 1080p videos when Apple does not support it? Itunes according to online sources only has 720p videos and has no bluray so max video quality intended by Apple is 720p.

But do not worry my little apple users, the new apple tv coming out is rumored to have 1080p capability so Apple will be introducing 1080p videos to it's store. Good job for being 3+ years behind PC users and Linux users have found ways to back door the bluray so in a way they even play higher quality videos.

speedyink

VIP Member
Well in previous debates they have said the mac books have ips screens so I am going to say they do considering the source was tlarkin.

Further more cause of the out put cable it uses the Max resolution is 720p to the TV.
Plus how will you get 1080p videos when Apple does not support it? Itunes according to online sources only has 720p videos and has no bluray so max video quality intended by Apple is 720p.

But do not worry my little apple users, the new apple tv coming out is rumored to have 1080p capability so Apple will be introducing 1080p videos to it's store. Good job for being 3+ years behind PC users and Linux users have found ways to back door the bluray so in a way they even play higher quality videos.

Pretty sure Tlarkin is aware that the macbook pro's don't have ips screens. If they did, Apple would state it on their website. They clearly do not, anywhere.

Just because iTunes and iTV don't support 1080p doesn't mean it simply won't play 1080p. If you download a 1080p file from elsewhere and play it in vlc or quicktime, it will play just fine, on the built in screen or on an external display. The Display port on the macbook can be adapted to DVI or HDMI, and can display to a resolution of up to 2560x1600

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Tlarkin always use to argue that here in the laptop section when someone would say I want to buy a Mac and a huge argument started as always about it so I would assume he is talking about the laptops being ips, since the person was inquiring about mac books and it is under this section.

Either way Apple should have brought 1080p to there itunes a long time ago, Zune has had 1080p videos for a long while now and it is even better for us xbox owners being zune works on there too so no need to hook up a laptop.

Either way for the price you cannot beat a PC in performance and Windows is no where near as bad as the Vista days. Plus if you want something new looking, more secure and tones of free software I always say look into Linux then being Ubuntu works with 99% of mobile devices and has a open source app to replace the Window or Apple app you were using, maybe not as nice but gets the job done and is free.

Plus with sites like System76, Linuxcertified and the limited Dell selection there is no excuse of well I don't want to install it myself.