• Firefox

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

tech explorer

My apologies for another poll, but I figure this one will be highly interesting and useful to the members.

Checking to see which OS is most useful. I'm in the middle of testing Firefox and I like what I see so far. I'm not checking for speed and I'm not in a position to check for it. With Youtube I'm looking to get continuous playback with its videos instead of start and stop, start and stop with about 10 seconds of playback at a time (freezing the video and waiting for the scroll line to move up doesn't work). Now under Firefox I get in the area of 17 seconds to 30 seconds of playback at a time and I practically got an entire video on continuous playback after first freezing and allowing the scroll line to move up making for a smoother streaming.

With respect to downloading videos, tested it out on two so far. First one no difference (but I'm being throttled so I have to retest later). The second video? Without Firefox about 10% downloaded, with Firefox, 55% downloaded. The real value to that is with 55% downloaded, it gave me enough of a preview to decide I didn't want the video (the website I downloaded from doesn't offer previews).

The only downside to Firefox I found so far is it doesn't let you progress beyond the first page of messages at a website I go to (I have a workaround to get to the last page).

So that's my story. What are your pros and cons on the OSes you've tried? Which one do you prefer?

I've picked out three for the survey, but there are many more so you can check off other and offer us your story on that one (or one of the first three). Thank you for participating.

Last edited:

tech explorer

What do you want to know? Which OS or Browser? There are already polls for both.

The OS. I checked around for polls and couldn't locate them. Aside from that, the website does change its members and if they can't locate the polls either, then a new poll may be in order (the only question then is if the poll isn't a sticky, how often should a new poll be done? Once a year?)

jamesd1981

I thought it was browser too, I did not know opera had an os, I have never used chrome os, saw a few shots of firefox os and it look terrible.

So none of the above the only os, I am interested in is windows 7 or 8 and android ics or above.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Well assuming 'other' means Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, that is what I voted for! ;)

DMGrier

VIP Member
Of the options listed I put Chrome OS, I know Opera is starting to use many of the same technology as Chrome like Blink, I know many of the extensions and apps are cross plat form compatible now.

The issue I see with Firefox OS and Opera OS both based on Linux there success depend's on the failure of flash and HTML5 taking the place. Unfortunately a lot of web apps still use flash and currently Linux does support Flash but it is quickly becoming outdated and I am sure by early next year the Flash plugin for Linux will not be compatible with a lot of web apps. So for me I use Chrome OS and for school when I have to I use Windows 8.1

tech explorer

I think the Thread name should have been labeled as "Which Web OS do you prefer".

I'll leave it up to a moderator about renaming the thread.

"Why is there no windows, or linux, or even mac options..."

I had no interest in those. I'm in the early stages of checking out the ones I listed for consideration for using with my phone (and happy to say I'm getting positive results with Firefox so far).

I put in an other category to check off and you already mentioned what your areas of interest are. So let me ask you why didn't you set up your own survey? Even better why didn't somebody arrange for a sticky survey on this (which would need revising from time to time)?

spirit

Staff member
I think the Thread name should have been labeled as "Which Web OS do you prefer".

None of them. I can sort of see the point in them for people who only use their PCs to browse the internet but they're just not for me. Especially with my extremely unstable internet connection. It would infuriate me if my whole computer was rendered useless just because the internet had decided to go down on me again. What's worse is it keeps going down for a few minutes and then coming back up for a few, then down again.

At least with a traditional desktop OS such as Windows and OS X I don't have to be connected to the internet in order to use my computer.

And I'm not a great fan of the cloud either.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I'll leave it up to a moderator about renaming the thread.

"Why is there no windows, or linux, or even mac options..."

I had no interest in those. I'm in the early stages of checking out the ones I listed for consideration for using with my phone (and happy to say I'm getting positive results with Firefox so far).

I put in an other category to check off and you already mentioned what your areas of interest are. So let me ask you why didn't you set up your own survey? Even better why didn't somebody arrange for a sticky survey on this (which would need revising from time to time)?

Like I said Firefox OS looks promising but the aging flash plugin makes it lose appeal, I ran Chromium OS which does not support flash since google started doing the pepper plugin and I found out how much the web still uses flash.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Renamed and moved to smartphone section since it really doesn't relate to computers.

tech explorer

I don't like to mislead anybody. In the light of new information, it turns out that I haven't benefitted from Firefox in connection with Youtube. The good news is that Youtube, for some reason, has improved on my phone. I'm not done testing Firefox and if I see something truly positive from it or another OS or a browser, I'll let you know.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I don't like to mislead anybody. In the light of new information, it turns out that I haven't benefitted from Firefox in connection with Youtube. The good news is that Youtube, for some reason, has improved on my phone. I'm not done testing Firefox and if I see something truly positive from it or another OS or a browser, I'll let you know.

Is your phone using the Flash youtube or the newer HTML5 youtube?