Which Motherboard should I use?

Chris_110

Hello everyone :)

I want to build my first Desktop PC and need help for a good Motherboard. I live in the Philippines and my choices are limited. I buy my components on https://dynaquestpc.com

Gigabyte Motherboards I like but I won´t spend more than 100USD (around 4000-5000 Pesos)
Would it be ok to use a Micro ATX from Gigabyte or maybe another brand which is good? Thank you so much in advance :D

Here my components I would like to buy:

-Processor: Intel i7 6700k Skylake
-Graphic Card: Palit GTX 1070 GameRock 8GB
-Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Dual DDR4 2666 CL16
-Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
-Hard Drive 2: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
-Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W 90% Gold
-Chassis: Deepcool Dukase V2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need that high of wattage for a psu. A good 500 watt unit will work for you. Also, if you are getting the 6700K cpu then you would really want a Z170 motherboard which would be more then what you want to spend. Do you really need a 2tb hdd? Could drop down to 1tb along with using some cheaper ram like Gskill. Could also drop down to a 250gb SSD and use that money for the motherboard.

Chris_110

Thanks johnb35. Well, you´re right. 1Tb & 250Gb would be enough. So I could buy a more expansive motherboard. I will think also about the ram of Gskill. I guess there won´t be a big difference between Gskill and Gigabyte. It should be enough for gaming and some Adobe products like After Effects...

Could you suggest a brand for the motherboard? I heard Asus has a low quality?

Thank you so much again :)

Darren

Staff member
MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus are the 3 best mobo makers. Just make sure it's well reviewed and you're fine.

GSkill RAM is quality, they might even be more popular than Corsair.

Chris_110

Alright. I´ll check out these brands.

About Gskill i found similar reviews with Corsair. Gskill is a bit more fast with a good price too.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you that gigabyte makes the better board hands down. Asus would be my second pick. Don't think I would ever use MSI boards due to horror stories. Look at the gigabyte gaming 3 or gaming 5 z170 atx motherboards. I'll be getting the gaming 5 when I upgrade.

Chris_110

Yep, saw also just now that MSI motherboards are terrible. I stick with Gigabyte brand. Has excellent reviews. Most of the people say that MSI gets very fast damage...sometimes already after few weeks. The gaming 5 Z170 should be a good one after i saw all that good reviews. I guess I´ll go for that one johnb35 :)

Laquer Head

I have used multiple MSI boards over the years and they have all served me well. I've had more issues with Asus than MSI. Never used Gigabyte and don't know anyone that uses them around me.

Cisco001

PSU go for
Seasonic S12II 520W 80PLUS Bronze
₱2,690.00

You really need Z170 motherboard for i7 6700K, also you will need heatsink for that.
If you not intend to overclock, get i7 6700 instead.

However, intel core i 7th gen & AMD Zyren are coming soon. I am not sure if this is the best time to buy...

mistersprinkles

Kaby lake is out. You should be looking at a 7700k and z270 motherboard. Apparently kaby lake is an overclocking beast. By the way can you get the gigabyte gtx1070 there? The windforce cooler giggy cards have the best vrm temps of the bunch.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Basically a mild refresh of Skylake with lower TDP.
Moar pcie lanes and tighter QA on the processing method for higher clock speeds on the same TDP. Intel for many years have settled in to a certain TDP value for their respective tiered processors.