which network adaptor?

roy_rajat

What is the best option to equip your computer with wireless networking or to communicate with a wireless router:

PCI wireless Network adaptor card or
USB network adaptor
USB wireless network adaptor dongle (this one resembles just like a jump drive)

Will the USB network adaptor work for both desktop PC and laptop? Any idea on make and model?

Is there any more hardware requirement other than the network adaptor to communicate with the router?

And for people in the UK...has anyone tried out the Sky Broadband. And what kind of network adaptor are people using with the Sky broadband box?

Trizoy

VIP Member
PCI wireless Network adaptor card is the best and in my opinion ONLY solution. DO NOT get the USB adaptor. These are known to have disconnect issues A LOT! I am very surprised that companies still sell these things, as they cause a lot of problems.

It has something to do with the connection disconnection of an inactive device in the USB interface.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
OK, I don't totally understand the question here... Are you refering to wired and wireless, or are all these suppose to be wireless? First off, any internal card is better. They usally configure easier, they are less strain on your machine, and(for wireless) the signal strenght is usally better. If it's between wired and wireless, wired is faster and reliable.

bilbus

usb is great for times when you need to connect, but cant pop open the box.

If you can user pci use it. I keep a usb for times when user's nic dies and i am not in the office.

roy_rajat

Thnks for your replies. And yes my quey was about wireless. And from the answer it seems should go PCI way. Another question tha just came into my mind was that would i be able to connect a wireless router to my PC by a normal ethernet cable as i do have a onboard network adaptor (but it is not wireless)?

Any UK people with Sky Broadband experience?