Which of these Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables can I uninstall?

JohnJSal

I'm trying to clean up things and I feel like I can probably remove most if not all of these. I know several were installed when I installed Lord of the Rings Online, which I have since uninstalled. I'm thinking maybe at least the ones from August 13 can go, because those might be the ones from that time.

What kind of issues might arise if I remove them all?

Thanks!

vcredist.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try doing them all, you will get notified if a program requires a certain version to run. But they aren't using much space at all less than 77mb, possibly not enough to even worry about.

JohnJSal

You can try doing them all, you will get notified if a program requires a certain version to run. But they aren't using much space at all less than 77mb, possibly not enough to even worry about.

True, I may leave it alone so I don't cause any problems. It's just annoying that a 15 year old game installed them and I doubt anything else will even use some of them anymore, but I'll just leave them.

beers

Staff member
It's just annoying that a 15 year old game installed them
Eh, those are the dependencies. The newer bundles hadn't been invented yet, and nobody updated the game after the fact to leverage more modern libraries. Not really anything you can do aside from either retain legacy dependencies (bloat) or install on-demand with the bundle.

JohnJSal

Eh, those are the dependencies. The newer bundles hadn't been invented yet, and nobody updated the game after the fact to leverage more modern libraries. Not really anything you can do aside from either retain legacy dependencies (bloat) or install on-demand with the bundle.

Yeah, I know. What I meant was that it's annoying that those old ones were installed just for that one game, and probably no other game I will install now will ever use those, because they are so old. It's not often I install 15-year old games! :)

I'm tempted to uninstall all the ones dated in August, because I think that's probably when I installed that game.