Which of these two laptops...?

Jacknife

Which of these two laptop specs would most ideal for multi-track audio recording and gaming? Thanks.

laptop #1:

-320 GB hard drive
-Intel HD graphics
-6GB memory
-Intel Pentium B960 2.2GHz

laptop #2:

-320 GB hard drive
-AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
-4GB memory
-AMD Dual-Core E-450 1.65Ghz

Jacknife

No specific game. I have narrowed my two laptop choices down to those two (same price). I guess I am mostly just looking for a push towards one or the the other since I am not very knowledgeable about that kind of stuff. Other than general use, audio recording and some gaming would be used with it. So the one that would be most likely able to handle a newer game would likely be preferred.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If I recall Intel still trumps AMD in performance, I'd probably go with Intel. Unless that has recently changed.

claptonman

Really, none of those are suited for modern gaming, since they have basically no video card. and they're both pretty slowish CPUs. (Compared to what you can get) How much are each of these, where are you located, and where do you want to buy from?

Jacknife

Really, none of those are suited for modern gaming, since they have basically no video card. and they're both pretty slowish CPUs. (Compared to what you can get) How much are each of these, where are you located, and where do you want to buy from?

They are budget laptops ($400), so I am aware their specs aren't going to be great. Was hoping they still could handle most games released maybe a couple years ago and earlier. I am in the US and was planning on purchasing from newegg.

claptonman

They are budget laptops ($400), so I am aware their specs aren't going to be great. Was hoping they still could handle most games released maybe a couple years ago and earlier. I am in the US and was planning on purchasing from newegg.

It does depend on what games you're looking to play, but the intel HD and the other AMD graphics aren't gonna do much. I wouldn't even put them in the "budget gaming" category.

Jacknife

It does depend on what games you're looking to play, but the intel HD and the other AMD graphics aren't gonna do much. I wouldn't even put them in the "budget gaming" category.

So I am guessing there wouldn't be anything pretty good in the under $450 range, which unfortunately is the peak of my budget for a laptop at the moment?

claptonman

Yeah, pretty much. Gonna have to go to about $600 for a budget gaming laptop. On newegg, under the advanced tab to the left, choose "Dedicated Card" under "GPU type."

seri

First of all, you will make sure what kind of game you need to play.
General, AMD chip is faster than intel, but stability is worse

Jacknife

claptonman

First of all, you will make sure what kind of game you need to play.
General, AMD chip is faster than intel, but stability is worse
Incorrect, Intel is generally faster, and out of those two, the intel would be faster.
This one was the only "dedicated card" under $500. Would you consider this is significant upgrade of the two I listed?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215186

AMD A-Series A6-3400M 1.4GHz
500 GB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6470M
4 GB memory

The APUs are kind of tricky. They're CPUs with a GPU die on the chip. It would be faster than the two you chose, but not by much.

Jacknife

Thanks for the help. I guess I am back to square one, Is there anything anyone can recommend to me for $550 or under on newegg that would be most ideal for the price? My knowledge is very limited when it comes to specs.

Jacknife

Thanks again for the help. One last question if you don't mind..Pure and Silent Hill:Homecoming were two PC games I was planning on possibly purchasing at some point down the road. Here are there system requirements. Would that Lenovo be compatible?

Pure:
Microsoft® Windows Vista® / XP SP3
2.0 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 class or AMD® Athlon 2400+ or equivalent processor
1 GB RAM
5.5 GB uncompressed hard drive space
128 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compatible, 3D video card supporting Shaders 3.0 (nVidia® GeForce® 6600 or better, ATI® Radeon® X1300 or better, excluding X1550)
NOTE: Onboard (built-in) integrated chipsets are not supported (e.g., Intel® on-board 8xx/9xx series chipsets, SiS and S3 series, ATI® Mobility Radeon® 7500 & X1300)
16-bit DirectX 9-compatible sound card

SH:Homecoming:
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.13 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Memory: 1 Gb
Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
Video Memory: 256 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT / ATI Radeon HD 2600
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c

claptonman

Yes, it will meet the minimum requirements. But they're minimum requirements, it does not guarantee it will run them at max settings. I am not familiar with these games, so I cannot comment on how well they'll run.