Which one do you think is the best?

A-Ryan

So I made a black/white gaming build. I recently changed the WD Black to a WD Blue. Now I saved around 20 dollars and thought of adding a 1080... Since in my original build I had an ASUS Strix 1070, I picked an ASUS Strix 1080 for the 1080. Now while it is 100 dollars more, it should be good for atleast 4 years. Now seeing how it brings my build way more than my budget of nothing more than 1630, I need to make sure that its worth it. Now tell me this, should I just be done with the whole build now with a 1080, and just wait to buy the parts at the right time on sales etc. Or should I stay with the 1070. Seeing how the 1070 is getting older by the day, and seeing how the 1080ti is here, Vega is about to come out, and seeing how the 1080 got a little bit cheaper, would it be smart to get a 1080 now and keep that for a few years and dominate any game that comes in the following years? Now what I'll let you guys do is look at the builds. I'll show you the build with a 1070 and one with a 1080. Now you tell me which is better. Rate each build out of 10 and yea, thanks!

1070 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KmsFr7

1080 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyRDNN

beers

Staff member
If the 1070 doesn't give the performance target you want then upgrade. You are the only person with your own performance expectation.

Personally it isn't worth the premium, but that's coming from a guy with a 290 that plays on 1080p

Intel_man

VIP Member
Unless you're into pretty high resolution gaming like 4k, ultrawide, or even triple 1440p, you're probably ok with a 1070. The strix cards from Asus are pretty pricey, unless you really like the design of the card or certain features it comes with such as the pwm fan modules on the card to control certain fans (like side window fans) relative to the GPU's temperature, then you can look into buying cheaper 1070s out there.

A-Ryan

Unless you're into pretty high resolution gaming like 4k, ultrawide, or even triple 1440p, you're probably ok with a 1070. The strix cards from Asus are pretty pricey, unless you really like the design of the card or certain features it comes with such as the pwm fan modules on the card to control certain fans (like side window fans) relative to the GPU's temperature, then you can look into buying cheaper 1070s out there.
Yea but wouldn't it be good to just have a nice gpu and just be done with it for a few years.... Like then you wouldn't need to buy another one for 3-5 years and then just make sure that all of the games can run with no problems... Also, the last time I posted something like this about my build you guys recommended a 1080, what happened to that?

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you have the budget for it, go for it. All I'm saying from above is if you aren't do what was mentioned above, you wouldn't miss much from what a 1080 will offer.

A-Ryan

If you have the budget for it, go for it. All I'm saying from above is if you aren't do what was mentioned above, you wouldn't miss much from what a 1080 will offer.
yea. I guess you're right in a way. But its not like too much performance is a bad thing.. even If I do game a 1080p... yes it would be a waste of cash... well not waste, more like overkill, but whats wrong with getting something that would last you a hella of a long time... I mean you have a 1080 so you must understand what I mean..

Darren

Staff member
yea. I guess you're right in a way. But its not like too much performance is a bad thing.. even If I do game a 1080p... yes it would be a waste of cash... well not waste, more like overkill, but whats wrong with getting something that would last you a hella of a long time... I mean you have a 1080 so you must understand what I mean..
I'm gonna break this down to basically math to explain this concept. Prices and performance numbers are just for demonstration and let's assume you run at 60Hz and thus your max "usable" framerate is 60 FPS. Anything higher is just unnecessary for you.

Option 1
1080 now for $600. Performance today is 120 FPS on 2017 games, but you can only use 60 FPS of that. 2 years later you get 45 FPS on 2019 games. You've paid $600 for 45 FPS 2 years in the future.

Option 2
1070 now for $300 (I know this isn't accurate). Performance today is 90 FPS in 2017 games, lower than the 1080 but still more than you need. 2 years later you buy another $300 card since the 1070 can't hang and once again get 90 FPS in 2019 games. Meanwhile you spent the same amount as you did with the 1080 but you have more usable performance both now and in the future.

These numbers are made up and prices not accurate but you get the idea I hope. Basically it's more economical to get cheaper but more frequent upgrades than buying the absolute top of the line just because you can. Same concept applies to buying a brand new car vs a slightly used one or really any other performance based purchase. If you're out there just to be an enthusiast and have the very best then by all means get the 1080 but if you're just wanting to game at the end of the day with the most performance for your money it's better to get something more midrange.