Which one should I get?

Moonlightman

I am getting a new computer and I found 2 Compaq presarios that are both almost exactly the same but they have different processors. Here are the differences.

(1) Intel Celeron D 340 - 2.93 GHz - 256KB cash - 533 FSB - PC 2700 DDR RAM

OR

(2) AMD Sempron 3000+ - 1.80 GHz - 128KB cash - 1600 FSB - PC 3200 DDR RAM

They both come with 17" Flat screen monitors & speakers & Keyboard, 80G Hard drives, 256 Memory, DVR-DVD Drives & they are both $395.00

Which one would you pick?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Overall you will probably have a better experience with the Sempron box (E-stepping based) although realistically you probably wont notice the difference

Shambree

My cousin purchased a compaq presario with the amd sempron and the RAM was rated at pc 3200 but was really underclocked to pc2700.Ugh :(
Anyway,he plugged in a 6600gt and it can play doom3 and half life 2 really well,so its a good budget gaming system.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
You should be able to change the speed of the FSB/RAM in the Compaq BIOS, and you can disable "speed stepping" or w/e its called to have it run top speed 24/7 (at least my mom's Compaq has these options. But this will decrease battery life, so i usually use speed steppping when i can.

fachim

Anyway, I recommend you Sempron 1.8 GHz with faster and higher configuration on another devices. Processor speed will not give you significant affect on speed.

Moonlightman

Thanks for all the input guys. The only thing I will be doing on the computer is Internet some music downloading and burning and using some pograms like microsoft word but I wont be playing any games on it. BTW what is a 6600gt ? and does it speed up the computer?

Geoff

VIP Member
i reccommend sempron all the way, gaming or not, but if you aer gaming, sempron will do extremely better. Also less heat.

Geoff

VIP Member
Moonlightman said:
BTW what is a 6600gt ? and does it speed up the computer?

a 6600GT is a video card, it will only improve graphics such as gaming, it wont do anything else performance wise. I would not reccommend getting it for your uses.

Bobo

banned
4W4K3 said:
The Sempron, even with half the L2 cache it should have equal performance to the Celeron D,
Since when did Celerons start having caches?
My cousin purchased a compaq presario with the amd sempron and the RAM was rated at pc 3200 but was really underclocked to pc2700
My compaq does that if both RAM slots are filled....just stupid HP/Compaq

Diego

For your uses i recommend getting the one with the celeron processor. BTW whats the store you are buying it from?Can you give me a link to those desktops?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My cousin purchased a compaq presario with the amd sempron and the RAM was rated at pc 3200 but was really underclocked to pc2700.
Sounds like an issue that occurs when all the memory slots are filled

You should be able to change the speed of the FSB/RAM in the Compaq BIOS
You should?

Thanks for all the input guys. The only thing I will be doing on the computer is Internet some music downloading and burning and using some pograms like microsoft word but I wont be playing any games on it. BTW what is a 6600gt ? and does it speed up the computer?
1. If u're not reallt doing anything on the computer ... then get the cheaper of the two
2. Dont waste money on the 6600GT ... just get the cheapest video u can find

Also less heat.
The problem with absolut blanket statements is that they are usually wrong

Since when did Celerons start having caches?
Since forever.

My compaq does that if both RAM slots are filled....just stupid HP/Compaq
Has nothing to do with HP/Compaq. They are gonna be downclocked regardless

At the end of the day, I reccemend the cheapest thing you can find